Window trim options

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnoDrgn

n00b
Feb 3, 2018
I'm wondering what option codes drive which pieces of wide window trim. I've seen g-body cutlasses with horizontal pieces on top of the doors, vertical pieces on the lock pillar at the back of the doors, both pieces, and neither pieces. From the parts book, it looks like cars optioned with B85 gets the wide trim at the top of the doors, and unless the car is optioned with CC1 (t-tops) the car is normally optioned with the wide trim on the lock pillar. My car is an 81 Supreme without t-tops and I have the wide trim on the top of the doors (B85 is on the build sheet) but doesn't have the wide trim on the lock pillar and appears to be original. Does anyone know why I might not have the wide trim on the lock pillar?
1662906603461.png

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Because someone must've took it off. The vertical B pillar next to the seat belt from 81 to 88 had a wide strip of "chrome" (actually anodized aluminum) on all G47 Oldses regardless of top options. The only difference is how much was cut off if the car didn't have T-tops. Bascially there were only two part numbered versions, a T-top and a non-T-top version. They were the same piece, but the non-T-top version got cut off at the top to allow it to fit inside the window opening, where the top of the T-top version went up and met the rear T-top channel bright trim. I think the rest of the G-bodies used them too, but some had black versions. Olds never used a black version from the factory. Lucky for you they make repros now. Some people think its cooler just to take them off as they do get impinged by road debris/thrown pebbles, etc., and look like dog crap after a while. Gbodyparts.com sells them. You can probably find them around the restoration websites. I haven't really searched.

Check it. Here's both versions still in the wrapper. Look at the top of the moldings carefully. The outer ones are for T-top, the inner ones are for non-T-top. Found on every 2-door Cutlass from 81-88. In a pinch, you could trim down a T-top piece of molding to work for a non-T-top car, but unfortunately you can't go the other way.
bpillarmoldings.jpg

The top of the door trim was interesting. It was standard on Calais and Salon (85/86 442s only had it too) versions, but you had to add B85 RPO to the other cars to get it. I also think the 88 CSC had the wide molding standard as well, but I don't have any information about that. An interesting exception to that is the Hurst/Olds models, as they were devoid of the ability to have B85, even though there is no mention of it in the dealer ordering information. I believe the reasoning for this was the body colored rear hood trim wouldn't match up well with that tiny little piece of "chrome" molding sitting on top of the rear of the fender. It's about an inch or so long and the factory plastic push retainers dry up and it will eventually fly off the car somewhere. Probably find it next to a lost H/O spoiler wingtip somewhere. Here's a pic of those little boogers.
s-l500.jpg

The 87 442 was based on the Supreme body, but the dealer ordering info showed the B85 as an option, and then says it's STD on W42. But looking at the W42 option, it states B85 is N.A. with W42. Guess what? It was N.A. in the real world. 87 442 didn't have the B85 moldings.

Here's a pair of B85 moldings. The rubber seal could have been purchased separately, but the way it mounts to the trim itself was just fugging weird. Not sure I'd go that route unless absolutely necessary. But sometimes it's necessary. Some Regals used these, too as they shared the same door shell with Olds. Which Regal packages? I dunno. It may have just been an option and/or included in packages like Olds.
doortopmoldings.jpg

Attachments

• bpillarmoldings.jpg
    bpillarmoldings.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Found some new original part number NOS door top B85 moldings for sale. Should be scratch and dent sale, but well, they're not mine from the condition. Power of inflation, supply and demand, I suppose. Just think what the price would be if they were mint? Should read 81-88 Cutlass and Regal 2 door only. I don't think they're the right shape for the earlier versions.

Reactions: 1 user

SnoDrgn

n00b
Feb 3, 2018
Because someone must've took it off. The vertical B pillar next to the seat belt from 81 to 88 had a wide strip of "chrome" (actually anodized aluminum) on all G47 Oldses regardless of top options. The only difference is how much was cut off if the car didn't have T-tops. Bascially there were only two part numbered versions, a T-top and a non-T-top version. They were the same piece, but the non-T-top version got cut off at the top to allow it to fit inside the window opening, where the top of the T-top version went up and met the rear T-top channel bright trim. I think the rest of the G-bodies used them too, but some had black versions. Olds never used a black version from the factory. Lucky for you they make repros now. Some people think its cooler just to take them off as they do get impinged by road debris/thrown pebbles, etc., and look like dog crap after a while. Gbodyparts.com sells them. You can probably find them around the restoration websites. I haven't really searched.

Check it. Here's both versions still in the wrapper. Look at the top of the moldings carefully. The outer ones are for T-top, the inner ones are for non-T-top. Found on every 2-door Cutlass from 81-88. In a pinch, you could trim down a T-top piece of molding to work for a non-T-top car, but unfortunately you can't go the other way.
View attachment 206683

The top of the door trim was interesting. It was standard on Calais and Salon (85/86 442s only had it too) versions, but you had to add B85 RPO to the other cars to get it. I also think the 88 CSC had the wide molding standard as well, but I don't have any information about that. An interesting exception to that is the Hurst/Olds models, as they were devoid of the ability to have B85, even though there is no mention of it in the dealer ordering information. I believe the reasoning for this was the body colored rear hood trim wouldn't match up well with that tiny little piece of "chrome" molding sitting on top of the rear of the fender. It's about an inch or so long and the factory plastic push retainers dry up and it will eventually fly off the car somewhere. Probably find it next to a lost H/O spoiler wingtip somewhere. Here's a pic of those little boogers.
s-l500.jpg

The 87 442 was based on the Supreme body, but the dealer ordering info showed the B85 as an option, and then says it's STD on W42. But looking at the W42 option, it states B85 is N.A. with W42. Guess what? It was N.A. in the real world. 87 442 didn't have the B85 moldings.

Here's a pair of B85 moldings. The rubber seal could have been purchased separately, but the way it mounts to the trim itself was just fugging weird. Not sure I'd go that route unless absolutely necessary. But sometimes it's necessary. Some Regals used these, too as they shared the same door shell with Olds. Which Regal packages? I dunno. It may have just been an option and/or included in packages like Olds.
View attachment 206684
Thanks for taking the time, I was hoping you would be able to shed some light onto the information I found. If my car had them at one time and removed, someone filled the bottom hole in the lock pillar. The next time I take the trim out, I'll get a better look at the back of the panel. FWIW, my 81 AR47 is also a Canada build. That chrome fender trim is interesting, I assumed on the H/O that they were body color to match the hood trim but I looked through some photos and noticed you were right. Another thing about the fender trim, mine (22507942/22507943) uses speed nuts to attach the the fender instead of the push in retainers. Looking in the parts book, it calls out 22521875(LH) and 22512186 (RH). My parts book only goes up to 81 so I'm not sure when they changed over.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You bring out an interesting point about the attachment methods. I always wondered about those "pins" on the back thinking they were designed more for speed nuts than push retainers. The 942 and 943 you mentioned got replaced with the 22512186 and 22512187 in June of 1984. Then, in 1990, they discontinued the 942 and 943, as well as made the 186 and 187 interchangeable with the 874 and 875 as of 1991. 874 and 875 was discontinued from GM in 2005. I bought 4 sets of the 874/875s in 2002, so that was the part of the day. Look no different than the originals from the outside, but a blurb in the parts book says you may have to redrill the hole for proper fit. Hmmm.

I know for a fact they used plastic push retainers from the factory in 1985 because my 442 came with them and I ordered the car. I found out one day when I returned home from a trip and one of them was gone except one of the little white plastic retainers was still there and brittle AF. I like the idea of the speed nuts better, but it would be a PITA to get under that fender lip to get to them. Slow nuts, maybe.

Speaking of retainers for the 874/875, GM lists it as 3061114, need 4. Found a picture of it on a search, but found none for sale. Yep, it's plastic. Blech. Metal equivalent isseems to be 9875547.

78-80 used 22506265 and 22506266 and they only had one post. Appears they have a little lip to help align it with the fender.

Here's a 78-80 one for the RH side that is mislabeled as fitting 78-88. WRONG.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor