Window trim paint removal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
Hello, quick question. I bought a 80 Malibu and the trim was painted black. Is there any way I can remove the paint without ruining the original chrome. I’m worried paint stripper will remove the finish as well.

Thanks.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hello, quick question. I bought a 80 Malibu and the trim was painted black. Is there any way I can remove the paint without ruining the original chrome. I’m worried paint stripper will remove the finish as well.

Thanks.
How well bonded is the black paint? Perhaps you can try to strip away some of the black paint to see what the trim looks like underneath. It could've been scuffed and primed with etching primer. I assume you're trying to revert back to the original chrome. Depending on how scuffed the chrome is, you may end up keeping the trim parts painted....or do what Donavan did to his chrome, doing a brushed stainless look, which I feel looks great and subtle in appearance.

Reactions: 2 users

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
How well bonded is the black paint? Perhaps you can try to strip away some of the black paint to see what the trim looks like underneath. It could've been scuffed and primed with etching primer. I assume you're trying to revert back to the original chrome.
Yeah, I’m trying to go back to the original. I was just worried that paint stripper would kill the original chrome finish. It looks like it’s just a layer of black sprayed over everything. From what I can tell there is no primer.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yeah, I’m trying to go back to the original. I was just worried that paint stripper would kill the original chrome finish. It looks like it’s just a layer of black sprayed over everything. From what I can tell there is no primer.
I could understand your concern about compromising the chrome. You can try a small area that's somewhat hidden or barely noticeable. Another thought would be to have the trim parts soda blasted. It would strip the paint without harming, or compromising the chrome finish. Then again, it would entail having to remove all the trim parts to be able to work on them reasonably. Either way, it might still require that you remove the trim.

Reactions: 1 users

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
I could understand your concern about compromising the chrome. You can try a small area that's somewhat hidden or barely noticeable. Another thought would be to have the trim parts soda blasted. It would strip the paint without harming, or compromising the chrome finish. Then again, it would entail having to remove all the trim parts to be able to work on them reasonably. Either way, it might still require that you remove the trim.
I have no problem removing the trim so that’s not a concern to me. Im planning on painting the car. Im just hoping it’s not scuffed or sanded beyond repair underneath. Thank you for help!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey

Thanks.
You can probably use oven cleaner to strip the trim. I used to use to strip anodizing from aluminum. I’m sure you’ll have to polish the trim back up anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The trim is indeed anodized. Clear anodized, but anodized nonetheless. It sticks to the trim extremely well, oven cleaner will take it off, but expect more than one application to do so. The oven cleaner will not damage the finish underneath, but it will be more dull appearing than with the anodizing.

The trim on our cars is not chrome, in fact it’s not even stainless or aluminum like the older iron. It’s made out of white or “pot” metal, cheap, lightweight and easy to manufacture. It will polish up once the anodizing is stripped off, but don’t expect it to hold its lustre very long when exposed to the elements.

As for removing the black paint without disturbing or damaging the finish underneath, I don’t believe it’s going to be possible, depending on how well it is adhered of course. If it wasn’t scuffed before being painted, there’s a good possibility that it’s not stuck on all that well, and even a good blasting with a strong pressure washer might take it off.
You’re just going to have to experiment with it a little bit to find what works best for you.

Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Chances are it was rattle-canned. Costs nothing to try a little lacquer thinner on it to see if it will come off. Good quality thinner will strip spray paint immediately.

I prefer to start with the least-invasive method, and move up from there as required.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
It was most definitely rattle canned on, I’ll start with my pressure washer, hopefully that removes most of it. After I’ll go with thinner, oven cleaner, then lastly stripper. If all this fails. What are my options to have it redone ? Could it all be removed with some sort of blaster (sand, bead, walnut,soda) then powder coated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor