Windshield Molding Clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Bought a package of molding clips from a parts vendor. Went to put them on my 81 and theres an issue. It seems like the repop clips are a few thousands thicker than the original GMs. At first they wouldnt fit over the rivet/post. I used some 320 and took a little off. I was able to get them on the posts but now theyre too close to the body and the trim wont snap on. No way, not going to fit.
I went to the local junkyard and tried to find some unbroken clips but all of them were trash. Any other options ?

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
IMG_20220706_171304258.jpg
I used these and they weren't too bad. No modifications needed on a 86 442, I ended up doing the front and rear,but the rear lowers are different and were purchased from a member on here.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
View attachment 201946 I used these and they weren't too bad. No modifications needed on a 86 442, I ended up doing the front and rear,but the rear lowers are different and were purchased from a member on here.
Those are the same ones I used.
I just came in from the garage. I compared them to the originals. Thicker in a few places. No way they would fit without modification. In the end I used a Dremel tool and a fine sanding drum. Thinned them down, tweaked them after heating them up a little with a heat gun. I had to do all 4 on the drivers side. Trial and error but I finally got them to hold the trim on. Thankfully the paint came out of this without a scratch. Now I know what to do next time. LOL

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I thought we were using the A Body clips?

Like these:

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I thought GM switched to the newer style due to the metal clips causing rust.

Your choices are clear: crusty old plastic that fix when it doesn't turn into dust, new plastic that doesn't fit, or metal that works but might rust.

Or glue. You could just glue them on.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
I used the A Body ones and theyre great. Snapped right in and fit perfect, even with my imperfect trim.

As for rust, Im in AZ so thats not a concern for me. The plastics just simply didnt fit for me either.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Your choices are clear: crusty old plastic that fix when it doesn't turn into dust, new plastic that doesn't fit, or metal that works but might rust.

Or glue. You could just glue them on.
Done now although Im not sure how long the quarter window trim will stay on the wagon. I switched to the metal style and let the bodyshop put them on. Some feel a little on the loose side. I wont mess with them since they were painted body color. Time will tell.

OldsZZ383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2019
Arizona
Bought a package of molding clips from a parts vendor. Went to put them on my 81 and theres an issue. It seems like the repop clips are a few thousands thicker than the original GMs. At first they wouldn't fit over the rivet/post. I used some 320 and took a little off. I was able to get them on the posts but now theyre too close to the body and the trim wont snap on. No way, not going to fit.
I went to the local junkyard and tried to find some unbroken clips but all of them were trash. Any other options ?
There is a store in Mesa, AZ called Space Age Paint, 707 S Country Club Dr. Mesa, AZ 85210, (480) 835-0971. They carry molding clips and other stuff. I bought from them the clips for the rear window moldings for my '81 Cutlass... I even have a few extra ones... You may be able to call them and see if they have the clips that you need.

OldsZZ383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2019
Arizona
View attachment 201946 I used these and they weren't too bad. No modifications needed on a 86 442, I ended up doing the front and rear,but the rear lowers are different and were purchased from a member on here.
This is the brand I purchased from Space Age Paint, Mesa, AZ. They worked fine on my '81 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor