Windshield wiper install

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
I don't know if this is the right section but I took my wipers off the windshield to try to align them cause one stopped to low. Now even with the little metal tab that slides over they won't stay on. Any help?

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
I don't know if this is the right section but I took my wipers off the windshield to try to align them cause one stopped to low. Now even with the little metal tab that slides over they won't stay on. Any help?
It's a 78 Monte Carlo by the way. Tried to put pics but don't know how the upload them.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you can't index the arms...if you damaged the locking arm beyond repair you'll need a new arm or a good used one, if you damaged the pivot assembly you'll need to replace it.

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
I didn't think I damaged it just slid it over and it came off. I thought I could align the wiper blades that way. I know there is two screws that can adjust resting height and movement range. The two located by the windshield wiper motor size 10mm I believe. But the passenger one rests on the stopper and the drivers wiper is still 2 to 3 inches higher.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
There is small adjustment in the passengers side wiper arm to adjust the park location. If you compare the drivers side to the passengers side, you will see the passengers side one is slightly wider for this.

However, inspect the inside of the passenger side wiper arm cavity where it seats over the knob. There are/should be female splines that correspond to the male splines on the knob. Often, over time these splines deteriorate and break off causing the wiper arm to not locate correctly on the knob. Make sure these splines are intact and not damaged first.

Then, when replacing the arm on the knob, the wiper arm must be pulled back at the hinge point on the arm as you position it back on the knob. Continuing to hold the arm back against the hinge point, slide the locking tab back into place. If you don't do this last step, the arm won't stay in place when you slide the locking tab back in place. It's a bit of a PITA, but it's got to be done to get it to stay on.

I suspect it's this last step you're missing that's causing the arm to not stay in place. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Reactions: 1 users

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
Ill be giving it another try this evening. Ill let you know how it works. Thanks for info Rktpwrd. I went to the junk yard yesterday and took one off an oldsmobile to try and see if I Could put that one back on and nope. So im sure that it is not damaged its more than likely operator error. Such a small part causing so much trouble.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ill be giving it another try this evening. Ill let you know how it works. Thanks for info Rktpwrd. I went to the junk yard yesterday and took one off an oldsmobile to try and see if I Could put that one back on and nope. So im sure that it is not damaged its more than likely operator error. Such a small part causing so much trouble.
No problem. Happy to help.
I've had mine on and off several times over the years and have had to fine tune the park location, so I know it can be done.
Like I said before, just make sure you're pulling the arm back (against the spring) at the hinge location on the arm as you position it over the post. You should have no more troubles getting it on.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor