Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
I have a 1980 Chevrolet Malibu, it has the original windshield wiper switch (see pic) it worked until today, but now the windshield wipers won't shut off unless i turn the key to "off". I can change the delay when i turn my key to run position, and i can switch between Low, and High speed. How do i fix this?

I recently replaced my windshield viper fluid pump with an aftermarket one, but i wired all the original wires to it, and it worked fine with the original button, (the fluid pump and button still works) ..
Wiper.JPG - Thanks

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I recently had a similar problem with mine (running a 78 wiper system with the same delay option and switch).

My problem was in the washer function. I had hit the washer button and all worked well, but when I went to shut it off it wouldn't turn off, delay function and low and hi speed functions still worked like they should but as mentioned the wiper would not shut off.

The problem was the wiper function when I used the washer would not cancel. I pulled the cover off (I was traveling cross country and somewhere in Texas at 2AM) and fiddled with the cam until it turned off. As long as I didn't hit the washer function the wipers worked properly and turned off.

I solved the problem when I got back to Illinois by replacing the wiper motor/washer assembly. I'm not exactly sure what failed in the washer as I haven't done a postmortem on the motor yet.

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
Mine does not shut off whether i touch the washer button or not. A new viper motor seems unnecessary :/ Thanks though.. I think what happened is I just got into the car and turned the key, and the windshield wipers just started immediately.. When i delay the vipers they will go very slowely and park, and then start up again after a few secs.

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
what about installing an extra switch that will shut the windshield wipers off/on, while leaving the other functions as is?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you install an on/off switch you will have to turn them on and off still they stop in the parked position unless you don't care where the wiper sit when you shut them off. If it is the circuit board they sell new ones and I don't think they are expensive

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
I also told him that it's likely the circuit board. I know they're difficult to find for the later type wiper motor, but are they available for the early type?
I've replaced them in both my wagon and my Olds Ciera. I was able to find them in the junkyard, fortunately. I would've gone with new had they been available.

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
buying a new motor would be money out the window, what i need is to be able to turn my wipers of and park them. the car won't pass inspection otherwise, if buying that 48 dollar unit would fix the problem i'd buy it, problem is the total will be 100 dollars+ with tax and shipping... :( :(

is this part "ANCO Windshield Washer Pump 61-19" a pump and motor with the circuit?" i already replaced my pump a few weeks ago, and the motor and pump works fine.

I'll look into this more and do some electrical testing etc...

When i turn the switch to the next position to the right after mist and "off" the vipers will park, and restart again (slowly)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor