Winter Build hell and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2015
Twentynine Stumps Cali
What's going on guys, I'm starting my winter build. I've got a 350 I'm building to a 383 to put in my 82 Monte. With the 350 I ran 2.5 inch single exhaust. With the 383 I want to run 2.5 dual exhaust with Pypes x Pipe. Can I do this without getting the double humb crossmember. I'm on a tight budget I'm only an E-1 in the Corps. All input will be highly appreciated. The main thing I want is a piped up 383 with dual exhaust and converted to serpentine that I can get down on the weekend with but keep in my it's gonna be a daily until I get my truck fixed.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Being on a tight budget why would you try building a 383 - you can get plenty of power out of that 350 - yes your going to have to do something w/ that cross member, I made my own. I would think twice about the Pipes system the bang for the buck just isn't there. Get your truck running and play w/ the Monte when $$ are available.

pypes2.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Dec 21, 2015
Twentynine Stumps Cali
Being on a tight budget why would you try building a 383 - you can get plenty of power out of that 350 - yes your going to have to do something w/ that cross member, I made my own. I would think twice about the Pipes system the bang for the buck just isn't there. Get your truck running and play w/ the Monte when $$ are available.

View attachment 45919

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If your car is registered somewhere without emissions testing, you can run dual exhaust without changing the crossmember, but you'll have to get some help from an exhaust shop bending a tube to go under the crossmember on the driver's side (and watching out for speed bumps) or making a custom S-bend in the stock location joined to shorty headers to bring both pipes over to the passenger side. If you do the latter, you could also use a Dynomax (or equivalent) kit for a Monte SS / Buick GN that has a single intermediate pipe and dual mufflers / tailpipes or a dual outlet muffler in the stock locations. The advantage with the latter idea is that it is a 'cat-back' system, and if you find yourself transferred to emissions territory, you can still run a high-flow cat. Edelbrock used to sell a TES system for the Monte Carlo, but I think it's discontinued, but you may be able to find one used via the Forum.

By the time you have a shop do custom stuff, $450 for Summit or Jeg's kits with headers and the crossmember may be a break even...

Enjoy the cheap gas while it lasts!

Dec 21, 2015
Twentynine Stumps Cali
Thanks guys, I found a completely customizable kit online today and got everything I needed. Lightweight 9000 Scat Crank, 6" I beam rods, 242 Comp Cam, valve springs, seats, lifters, pretty much everything I needed for the build for way cheaper than I thought. The complete kit was under $2500. Now I need suggestions on a carb. Holley DP 750? I was actually looking at the Holley terminator EFI system, any input on that? All info and input will be appreciated. Also still wanting info on exhaust. I live in South Georgia so emissions is never a big deal, but I do get stationed in other places so idk how that will go. Thanks again

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
A double hump crossmember is in your budget then. I sold one brand new in box because I changed my mind on trans choice, and I see others on craigslist doing the same thing from time to time, so they are out there, and the one from jegs is pretty inexpensive to begin with. I wouldn't sell yourself short on the rest of the car and dump all your money in the engine.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
It looks like you are half way through your budget worth on engine parts. Go carb. The efi will use up the other half of your budget. You may want to look into a transmission to handle the torque of the 383.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Mr Petrocellie & all; Did you see my for sale post as I'm considering selling my entire exhaust system? The Hooker headers 1-5/8 pri into 2-1/2 inch 3 bolt collectors, ceramic coated. All stainless tubes (with kinks) & Flow Master 50 series mufflers. If you're not in a big hurry this may be just what your looking for? Bob Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor