Winter Jeep Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I started my Jeep this morning the the check engine lite came on. Did I ever mention I dislike computers in vehicles? The code was 0135 so that's a heater circuit for the upstream O2. The Jeep was running good and even though I thought I drove the Jeep to see if the engine light would shut off but it stayed on. So I plugged in my scanner and erased that code, the code never reappeared (yet). Aren't these engine lights supposed to go off if the engine is run long enough or on this Jeep does it just stays on until the code is erased with a scanner or the part is changed unnecessarily?

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I know that in other OBD2 vehicles that I 've owned, once the code is cleared a certain number of miles needs to be driven before the OBD2 reediness is satisfied. In other words you may have to drive the car another 100 miles before the code will show up again..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I know that in other OBD2 vehicles that I 've owned, once the code is cleared a certain number of miles needs to be driven before the OBD2 reediness is satisfied. In other words you may have to drive the car another 100 miles before the code will show up again..

thanks and do you know if the same distance work to shut the light off?

Last edited:

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
It sounds like it is sensing an open circuit in the heating element of the O2 sensor. It should still run fine, but the computer will complain because it will take longer for the O2 sensor to get hot enough to give a reading. You can test the pins of the sensor at the connector to see if it is open or not. If you are bothered by the light I would change the O2 sensor but otherwise all it is going to do is take a little longer for the computer to go into closed loop.

This explains it in more detail:

http://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0135/

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
thanks and do you know if the same distance work to shut the light off?
I always thought that as soon as an OBD2 code is logged that the fault indicator would remain on until the code is cleared. As far as the actual mileage / driving conditions that will put the OBD2 monitor(s) back into the readiness state does vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It sounds like it is sensing an open circuit in the heating element of the O2 sensor. It should still run fine, but the computer will complain because it will take longer for the O2 sensor to get hot enough to give a reading. You can test the pins of the sensor at the connector to see if it is open or not. If you are bothered by the light I would change the O2 sensor but otherwise all it is going to do is take a little longer for the computer to go into closed loop.

This explains it in more detail:

http://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0135/

thanks very much, that link is very informative and if that codes shows up again I'll use that link to diagnose the issue.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I always thought that as soon as an OBD2 code is logged that the fault indicator would remain on until the code is cleared. As far as the actual mileage / driving conditions that will put the OBD2 monitor(s) back into the readiness state does vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

last year a code showed up and it was just the gas cap that was loose. I had lent my scanner to a friend so I just left it and it took days before the engine light went out, I was hoping the bulb was burnt out but I guess I was wrong.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
here's an update, one day a few weeks ago the key security light came on when stating the Jeep after picking up a coffee. The engine died in a few seconds so I tried it again and it died again. So I started it with the remote and put the key in and it kept on running and no issues like that again. The check engine light came on again on another day when I remote started it. I left the light on and drove it a few hundred miles but the light would not go out. So the other day I checked the codes and these three came up

1685 - immobilizer/key problem
0443- gas cap
0141 - O2 problem....

so I removed the ground on the battery for a few minutes and after I put the ground cable back on the check engine light was off. I have driven the Jeep close to 300 miles since the codes were cleared and the check engine light is still off so I assume those codes were an anomaly. I guess the codes won't clear if I drive the Jeep 100 miles like it was suggested. The code for the O2 has shown up twice so far and that was when I used the remote to start the Jeep. I have not used the remote to start the Jeep since I cleared to codes to see if the O2 code would reappear which it hasn't so I'll be trying the remote start and see if that O2 code will show up. I don't know why starting with the remote would cause any codes to appear but it might just be a Jeep thing...:)

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
This might help: https://www.smogtips.com/smog-question/2839/Jeep-Cherokee-Emission-Monitors-Not-Ready
OBD2 resets are based on drive cycles, not mileage. Each manufacturer's definition of a drive cycle may differ.
The remote start shouldn't have anything to do with it (not out of the blue, anyway) unless one of the ignition outputs has failed. However, the remote starter could be the cause for the P1685.

thank you very much for the link, it looks like it will be very helpful......:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor