Wiper, Dimmer,Cruise Lever Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Guys, another question that Im sure will have a very easy answer from someone thats done this !

All this time I planned on using a Monte SS steering wheel in my wagon. I bought a clean black wheel and sprayed the column black about two years ago. Figured it would look good and now it would probably take forever to find a clean steering wheel in the same shade of grey as my dash.
Well, yesterday at the local yard I found a mint grey wheel in a mid 80s Caprice. It was in a car that I walked past over 100 times. Its almost an exact match to the grey I used on my dash. The only thing wrong with the wheel is it needs the thin trim that breaks in almost every one of them. Not a big deal, Mikes Montes has them for under $20. Its cleaned up and ready to go on as soon as I get that trim.
So now comes the question. The turn signal/wiper/dimmer/cruise lever has most of the chrome peeling off. I need to respray the column grey. Looking at the videos on youtube it looks like you just gently pull the lever out of the column but theres a wire that runs inside the column. Is that one wire for the cruise control ? Now that Ive pulled the cruise out of the car can I put in the lever that doesnt have cruise ?
Like I said, Im sure this is an easy question for someone thats done this before but I have no clue.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Yes the wire on the turn stalk is strictly for the cruise. I've found a slight twist and pull gets the stalk out. Replace with a non cruise one.

You might find the wire snags...it is usually installed in a white/clear plastic sleeve...

4oY4SM.jpg

Sometimes the wire pulls out with no issue sometimes not...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I can't say I've ever had one do that....I've pulled quite of few in various styles. I've had some take a good pull. Haven't pulled one for awhile but seems to me I twist towards the steering wheel and then pull. Seems to work for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor