Wiper Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leefybeaver

Apprentice
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
Good day. So I replaced the wiper motor in my 1984 the other day...
- The car has a delay system for the wipers.
- When I turn the wipers on they seem to work fine, but no delay function. Not sure if it was just low speed on all settings.
- When I turn the wiper switch to the off position the wipers keep going.
- When I turn the car/key off the wipers stop as you would expect with no power to the system
-Turn the key back to the ON position with the wipers switch in the off position and the wipers will go to their off/hidden position.

Any ideas what might be happening here. Is there a different wiper motor I need to get? Visually and connectivity/wiring wise the two look identical. I bought part number 40175.

Thank you.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Does the replacement wiper motor have the delay circuit board included? It's underneath the plastic cap.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Why did you change the motor? What was it doing or not doing with the old motor?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Lately, when you purchase a new replacement wiper motor, the delay or pulse circuit board is not included. Therefore, you must use your existing circuit board and transfer it to your replacement motor. I hope you didn't turn it in with your core unit. The circuit boards are unavailable new. Perhaps someone out there reconditions them...I don't know.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Good day. So I replaced the wiper motor in my 1984 the other day...
- The car has a delay system for the wipers.
- When I turn the wipers on they seem to work fine, but no delay function. Not sure if it was just low speed on all settings.
- When I turn the wiper switch to the off position the wipers keep going.
- When I turn the car/key off the wipers stop as you would expect with no power to the system
-Turn the key back to the ON position with the wipers switch in the off position and the wipers will go to their off/hidden position.

Any ideas what might be happening here. Is there a different wiper motor I need to get? Visually and connectivity/wiring wise the two look identical. I bought part number 40175.

Thank you.
My wipers will intermittently do the same as you are describing. I have a '78 (originally 2spd motor) with an '81 dash (delay wiper switch) and an unknown year of delay wiper motor. I am considering a new switch, because I suspect that the switch could be worn out. I have not yet ordered one though. I am interested in hearing what others suspect the problem to be.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It does sound like a potential compatibility issue between the switch and the wiper motor. In other words, you can't use a non-delay switch with a delay motor setup.

leefybeaver

Apprentice
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
Lately, when you purchase a new replacement wiper motor, the delay or pulse circuit board is not included. Therefore, you must use your existing circuit board and transfer it to your replacement motor. I hope you didn't turn it in with your core unit. The circuit boards are unavailable new. Perhaps someone out there reconditions them...I don't know.
This new motor did not have the circuit board. I re-used the cap from my existing motor. That being said when I took the cap off the old motor there was some loose plastic inside it. I wonder if that somehow got around to breaking something on that board. I'll take a closer look. I have a few steering columns at home, Maybe one of them has a no pulse switch. If I'm reading this thread correctly that might fix it if the pulse circuit is the issue.

edfiero

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2022
So I take it that there is no one that is offering a repair service for the Wiper Pulse module? Seems like Caspers Electronics, or one of the Gbody vendors like Dixie Restoration would offer a service. I would love to have my windshield washer and delay working. Any one know what goes bad in the pulse module? Hell, I would open mine up and replace a transistor or whatever. I can work a soldering gun.

PVDave

Apprentice
Oct 28, 2021
Arvada, CO
Hell, I would open mine up and replace a transistor or whatever. I can work a soldering gun.
The board itself is easily serviced (no potted components). However, it is permanently mounted on the cover at the factory by melting three plastic pins to form mounting heads (See attached image).

Since most of the board components are mounted on the back side, you must grind off the heads to service the board. I've remounted the board to the cover using very small self tapping screws, but I don't feel it is as secure as the factory mount.

Attachments

• Pulse board Mount.JPG
    Pulse board Mount.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor