Wiper transmission linkage lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I currently have my wiper(linkage) transmission out of the car. I notice my wipers really dragging, so I decided to go over all the greaseable joints and do a thorough cleaning of the parts...and paint them as well.
I notice where the wiper shafts go thru the plastic mounting points, it seems a bit stiff trying to rotate them...well, at least one of the shafts. Is there a viable way to lubricate those areas?
I have tried using penetrating oil, but would like to use something longer lasting...like white grease, or something like that.
I've thought of actually drilling a hole into each plastic mount/ bushing in order to allow grease...or oil to enter.
What do you guys suggest in this situation?

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't like using an oil or grease for those locations where dirt can end up in the grease. I like dry graphite but get a good quality and follow the instructions and you'll be happy...

https://www.tenaquip.com/product/sp...MIyrCx4fjx3AIVBrXACh3dTQDfEAYYBSABEgJhx_D_BwE
aa107.jpg

or this

https://ca.ciclimattio.com/s/finishline/teflon-plus-500ml-2018/?id=2283&m=3550
FINISHLINE-Teflon-Plus-500ml-2017-nocolore_1161.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
You could drill a hole in it but start really small to avoid cracking it.mine were stiff too by hand but with all the inertia that comes from those arms swinging back and fourth i thought it was ok.i always thought they were stiff when turned by hand too.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I don't like using an oil or grease for those locations where dirt can end up in the grease. I like dry graphite but get a good quality and follow the instructions and you'll be happy...

https://www.tenaquip.com/product/sp...MIyrCx4fjx3AIVBrXACh3dTQDfEAYYBSABEgJhx_D_BwE
aa107.jpg

or this

https://ca.ciclimattio.com/s/finishline/teflon-plus-500ml-2018/?id=2283&m=3550
FINISHLINE-Teflon-Plus-500ml-2017-nocolore_1161.jpg
Good suggestions, Steve. I realize conventional oil and grease attract dirt and grime. Even taking the linkage apart, they were really grimy and had a build up of crap on them. Oddly enough, I've never had them apart before. I decided it was a good time while I was swapping wiper motors.
My spare wiper motor seemed to have more oomph to it.
Thanks Steve.
Btw, I do have chain lubricant for my minibike chain. I believe it's a silicone based product. I'll have to read the label again.

Last edited:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You could drill a hole in it but start really small to avoid cracking it.mine were stiff too by hand but with all the inertia that comes from those arms swinging back and fourth i thought it was ok.i always thought they were stiff when turned by hand too.
Thank you for your input, Chris.
Starting out drilling small holes and going up in increments is the prudent way to do it. I want to improve the function and hopefully not compromise them in any way.
Hopefully, I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Last edited:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Chris,
I ended up drilling small holes into the plastic bushings, just small (and large) enough to fit a spray nozzle. I sprayed some of that Teflon chain lubricant into the holes and it seems to have freed it up some.
Now the fun part...trying to get this thing to fit the way it came out. After struggling with it for awhile, I got the right side in and the stupid thing popped out again. I gave up until tomorrow. It's like a freakin' puzzle.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
It's tricky,especially how the center one has more of a "foot" and you have to kinda hook it through the hole and get it caught.i wonder if they casted those mounts in plastic to reduce the chance of it seizing up vs a steel on steel assembly.

• Agree

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's tricky,especially how the center one has more of a "foot" and you have to kinda hook it through the hole and get it caught.i wonder if they casted those mounts in plastic to reduce the chance of it seizing up vs a steel on steel assembly.
Chris,
I got it back together. You're right getting that "foot" part into the hole. It is tricky. If you don't approach it at the correct angle, it just won't go in. Once you get it in you got to at least get a bolt or two started.
It does seem to move pretty freely now.
I think there actually is a metal bushing inside the plastic bushing/ mount. I noticed when I was drilling into the plastic, some metal shavings were coming out after the plastic squiggles.

I may to dig up a few wiper arms. The little lock tabs are broken....well at least the one on the driver side arm. The passenger side arm that goes onto the so-called "foot" does not seem to lay flat like it should. I'll see if i can adjust it somewhat.

Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i had a similar problem,i couldn't get the arm down enough on the splined shaft so the locking tab wouldn't fall into place to seat arm.i sanded them slightly and it went on.they were aftermarket arms.could've been why.if i rember correctly one of them is indexed not by the knurling on it but it has a raised section that locates it.i think..

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Chris,
It looks like I may end up replacing both wiper arms. I bought new wiper blades awhile back and they seem to be a bit too tall and might be interfering with the hood. That could be one of the problems with the operation of these wipers. Sometimes it turns out to be than one problem causing poor operation. Another thing that needs correction. I'll get it eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor