wipers only work when cars not running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elcaminoken

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 5, 2019
I have a1980 el camino with standard non delay wipers. And the switch is mounted on the dashboard. I have already a assessed that the motor is fine. And found out that the switch isn't getting supplied power unless in acessory to the ignition switch on top of steering column. I just replaced the ignition switch a week ago. But havmt used the wipers in a long time so idk if it could be that. Could it be the lock cylinder? Is there another switch or relay or something on the steering colum between the key and ignition switch? Someone please help me cuz I'm losing my mind.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Ignition switch is out of adjustment, I bet you have other small issues too you haven't found yet. When I replaced mine it was frustrating as hell, I swear there's about a 1/64" window where everything works, out either way and you'll have problems.

Elcaminoken

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 5, 2019
Your absolutely right. It is the ignition switch. I actually replaced it a couple weeks ago when i couldn't get the car to start. And the new one I put in was apparently faulty cuz i just took it out after tracing the problem/lack of power supplied to switch. And i tested it. One of the contacts in it is faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor