Wires, plugs, and shifter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Two steps forward and five back as usual. LOL
I have the B+M Quicksilver in place. Hole in the floor for the cable worked out okay. Looks like the homemade bracket for the shifter is going to work and the console will be in the right place.
Now the last issue. I have the micro switches for the reverse lights and the neutral safety switch. Of course the instructions dont show what wires go where.
Has anyone installed a shifter like this ? Ive seen posts about splicing wires to get this stuff working but I have questions.
Where are these wires under the dash ? One of my old threads showed the plug for the safety switch but to be honest I have no idea where I stuck the stupid thing. And what about the wires for the reverse lights ? What/where is that under the dash ? Plugged into the column ? Stand alone plug or is it part of a larger one ? Maybe someone knows the colors of all these wires ?
And as far as splicing, do the plugs get whacked off and the wires get extended to the micro switches ? Or is there something else that needs to be done ?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I wouldn't cut the plug off, but, yes, they need to tap in at the NSS, IF YOU REMOVED THE BACKDRIVE LINKAGE. If the backdrive linkage is still in place, you don't have to touch the switches in the floor shifter; the factory column switch will work as normal.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I wouldn't cut the plug off, but, yes, they need to tap in at the NSS, IF YOU REMOVED THE BACKDRIVE LINKAGE. If the backdrive linkage is still in place, you don't have to touch the switches in the floor shifter; the factory column switch will work as normal.

Okay, what the heck is the backdrive linkage ?
The 81 came with a column shift. I sent the column out to a place in MI that did a total rebuild and changed it over to a floor shift column.
What about the reverse lights ?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The backdrive linkage goes from the gear selector on the trans up to the column on the engine side of the firewall. It will operate the reverse/neutral switch on the column inside.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
The backdrive linkage goes from the gear selector on the trans up to the column on the engine side of the firewall. It will operate the reverse/neutral switch on the column inside.

So since that was all removed I have to run the wires to the micro switch ? At that point can I cut the connector and run the wires directly with new female terminals ?
And where would I pick up the reverse light wires ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor