Wiring a electric fuel pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 6, 2018
Hi i'm restoring my 1979 Malibu classic. I want to use a electric fuel pump using a relay. my question is wich color of wire i must use and where can i find it.

Bokkie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 6, 2018
Hi, Any pink or were can i find the best/savest place to hook it up?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I hate to break the news but there is more to hooking up a relay than finding a pink wire. You will find a lot of info here if you want to help yourself

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
you'll need a constant power, switched power, ground, and feed wire to the pump.... as long as you know what wire goes to where, it doesn't really matter what color you use....

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Hi i'm restoring my 1979 Malibu classic. I want to use a electric fuel pump using a relay. my question is wich color of wire i must use and where can i find it.

It sounds like you're still running a carburetor--though I cannot be certain--and you want to transition from using the mechanical fuel pump to using an electric in-line "clicker" pump instead. If I am correct in my guess, that means you'll be using one of the inexpensive generic pumps you can buy at any O'Reilly/AutoZone/etc store, kinda like this random Google image:

mrg-42s_it_xl.jpg

I had to use one of these electric pumps after my engine swap because my V8 block does not have a provision for a mechanical pump. I mounted the pump to the underside of the trunk, behind and above the rear axle, near where the OEM rubber fuel line from the gas tank joined to the metal tube that runs inside the frame rail. Two drilled holes plus a couple of hose clamps and it was installed--very easy. For the ground connection, I crimped an eyelet to the pump's black wire and attached it to one of the pump's mounting bolts. Simple.

Like you, I wanted to power this pump via a relay. I mounted the relay under the hood on the passenger side inner fender. You can see that relay (next to another one) in this photo:

xJxwG5z.jpg

Now all you need to do is wire in the relay. In my case, I wanted the pump to be on whenever the key was in the ON or RUN positions. To do that, I found an open slot in my car's fusebox that was hot in those conditions but not in OFF. I plugged in a small wire (either 16 or 18 AWG), added a small fuse (2 or 3 amps), then ran this wire through the firewall to one of the trigger connections on the relay. The trigger ground was easily connected to a nearby piece of metal. To power the pump, I went directly to the battery. Here I used a slightly larger wire (14 AWG), placed a 10 amp fuse right next to the battery connection, and ran it to the relay's power input. For the relay's power output, I also used the larger gauge wire, ran it inside the frame rail to the rear of the car, and connected it to the pump's power wire. For added safety, I then carefully encased all the power wires in black convoluted tubing.

So long as you are familiar with wiring in general and relays in particular, this is a simple operation.

slappnutz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2018
I just installed a holly sniper electric pump in my 1980 Malibu. I have a relay under the hood. And it’s wired to a ignition wire in the fuse panel. When ignition is on fuel pump kicks on. Pretty simple. Relay is right beside the battery, have the relay for my electric fan there aswell. Tucked up nice and clean. Also here’s a pic of my fuel pump aswell. Made a custom bracket and mounted it just in front of the fuel tank. Make sure it’s low enough to gravity feed.

Attachments

• C1C4C6EA-49D5-477C-AC29-DBBCC831765C.jpeg
    C1C4C6EA-49D5-477C-AC29-DBBCC831765C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 289
  • 775BE508-A62A-4856-8291-88B74541CA77.jpeg
    775BE508-A62A-4856-8291-88B74541CA77.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 392
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor