Wiring a power bucket seat (driver's) replacing the bench seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I finished fabricating the seat mounts for the bucket seats to swap for the bench. Yes I had the brackets and yes i bought S10 Buckets...but apparently the newer S10 were not as easily compatible. I also bought a console and shifter. Both were not really ready for a GBody El Camino. So I spent a solid day getting them to work and now I am ready to put in the sound deadener and carpet. Before I do I need to get power to the bucket. It has a two wire receptor but the plug is not there. One wire is orange and the other wire of smaller gauge is black which I will assume is ground. The durectional switches are on the seat . I am hoping that there is a paddle on the fuse box that simply does the job. I want it to be a hot wire if I get a choice, ANYONE? Anyone with power seats in a GBody know how GM intended it? Fuse and or circuit breaker or Relay and grounds? Since I am not an auto electric guy...a step by step would be nice if you don't mind.

Also I will have to stub off or by pass a lot of the electronic (safeguards for dummies) that keep the shifter from moving without a foot on the brake or something equally obnoxious. I had to fool a few neutral safety switches over the years...what's new?

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I am finding info on you tube. You may want to look there as well to see if there is something similar to your seats. The more I look, I'm seeing wiring diagrams and there may be seats with plugs like yours.
I'm currently doing research now as my next project is BMW E92 335 seats going into my Malibu.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Depending on how plentiful they are in your pull a part yards, I'd go grab a couple connector ends from another G Body and make a small harness. The fuse box under the dash (left of pedals when facing forward) has different shaped opening for these connectors. Most are labeled for what circuit they run but theres usually a couple that are left open. Some are hot all the time which I believe is what youre looking for, and some are hot when the ignition is on only. Snip a couple of those connectors, run your orange wire to the fuse box and the black to a ground, which there is a stud for near the fuse box, and you should be set. If you dont have many G Bodys in the yard then 88-98 C1500 trucks/SUVs have the same connectors at their fuse box.

Dont quote me on this but I believe the connector that fits the always hot port is pink. Good luck!

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
At least on 83+ g bodies, there's a plastic power bus above the fuse panel under the dash on the driver's side about the size of a note card. I can't remember if there was something on 78-82 cars but there was a significant wire harness change between 82/83 but I know 83+ has it.

I added power seats to my 86 GP and it did not have power seats from the factory. I grabbed a harness from a factory power seat car and plugged it into the bus bar and ran it under the carpet. That particular plug taps into hot key off power and is where power seats grab power for factory installed power seats.

Reactions: 1 user

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I am finding info on you tube. You may want to look there as well to see if there is something similar to your seats. The more I look, I'm seeing wiring diagrams and there may be seats with plugs like yours.
I'm currently doing research now as my next project is BMW E92 335 seats going into my Malibu.
Thanks I'll search it. If they made all floors flat, it would help. At least mine is all GM, but even so it was not easy. I will look forward to the seats in yours. I bet they will look and feel great!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
On my '81 I was able to just plug in a simple male spade connector to a hot lead on the fuse panel. But my '83 wanted a special plug that I pirated from an '85 MCSS harness. It plugged into key switched power on the fuse panel and had an opening on the back to piggy-back another same type connector to it. I still added an inline fuse just to be on the safe side.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
On my '81 I was able to just plug in a simple male spade connector to a hot lead on the fuse panel. But my '83 wanted a special plug that I pirated from an '85 MCSS harness. It plugged into key switched power on the fuse panel and had an opening on the back to piggy-back another same type connector to it. I still added an inline fuse just to be on the safe side.
Thanks! I was hoping for the easy one. Mine is a 1980 so I will do a headstand and look at the fuse box and see. I can crimp connecrtors to wire! I agree inline fuses are always a good idea with higher amps required

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
See this. I remember tapping into the lower right side of the panel for the hot lead. Around the #19 position. Try to get a circuit breaker protected lead.

Chevrolet Malibu (1978- 1981) – fuse box diagram​

Year of production: 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981

Fuse box diagram​

Chevrolet Malibu - fuse box diagram Chevrolet Malibu – fuse box diagram
Fuse[A]Protected Component
15Instrument panel lights, alarm buzzer, heater dial light
220Choke heater
35Instrument panel lights, heater dial lights
430Circuit breaker: Power windows and sunroof
625Heater and air conditioning
710Electronic Control Module
925Windshield wipers
1020Stop, hazard, courtesy, dome, glove box and engine compartment light
1110Cruise control, rear window defogger, gauges, closed loop, warning lamps and buzzers and tailgate unlock.
1220Parking, side marker, license and tail lights
10Warning lamps and buzzers, trunk release, torque converter clutch, vehicle speed sensor, rear window defogger
1310Radio, idle stop solenoid, delay wipers, cruise control
1430Circuit breaker: Power door locks, power seats, rear window defogger and tailgate lock
1520Back-up and turn signal lights
20Parking, side marker, license and tail lights
1620Luggage compartment light, cigar lighter, clock, courtesy lights, key warning buzzer, closed loop, dome and reading lights, power antenna, horns
1820Turn signal and back-up lights
Circuit Breaker:
  • Headlights — Circuit breaker is integral with headlight switch to protect headlight circuit.
  • Windshield Wiper — Circuit breaker integral with windshield wiper switch to protect wiper circuit.
  • Power Seats, Power Windows & Power Door Locks — Circuit breaker is located on fuse panel to protect power accessories.
  • Rear Window Defogger – Circuit breaker is located on left side fender inner skirt.
WARNING: Terminal and harness assignments for individual connectors will vary depending on vehicle equipment level, model, and market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor