Not open for further replies.

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Generally speaking, Ford offered two interior packages for the 1967 Mustang:
  1. Standard
  2. Deluxe

When it came to the radio:
  • The Standard interior used one speaker mounted underneath the center of the dashboard
  • The Deluxe interior featured a speaker in each door
… and the aftermarket now offers Front Kick Panel Speaker packages.

My Mustang has the Deluxe interior, including the speakers in the doors. After the car’s restoration nearly 10 years ago I bought a Retrosound radio and had it professionally installed as I didn’t yet have the experience & confidence to deal with all the dissimilar connectors aka ‘60s Ford vs Modern Aftermarket.

My big project this year was installing power windows & power locks in the car (“power windows” was the initial project but the scope expanded as I was going to be working in the doors anyway) and when I found the door speakers interfered with the window motors, the door speakers had to go … so the project scope expanded again – “get some speakers!” – but I wasn’t too worried as I knew about the center mount and the kick panel speakers, my preference is the center mount.

I pulled the radio to check the space for the center mount – looks good! – but the wiring looked terrible:
  • The installer wired power to the right place – a certain port in a two-socket plug – but it looked kinda amateurish (see the first picture)
  • Except for the power & ground wires all the connections were twisted together or used butt connectors so to hook-up any new speaker I’d have to cut some wires
  • The installer used a lot of electrical tape to secure/insulate connections and to bundle related wires so everything was coated with that sticky tar-ish residue electrical tape leaves
After consulting the original wiring diagrams I bought a new speaker, a replacement OE “radio power” plug, and some other parts. I separated the radio from the car and used Goof-Off to get rid of the mess from the electrical tape, then designed/followed the process shown in the other images to both make the connections I needed and allow me to in the future remove the radio without cutting wires.

When preparing to do the actual work I bought two 2x3 sheets of foamboard, taped them together to make a 4x3 workspace, used Scotch tape to arrange/organize/tape-down everything on the workspace, and on the foamboard labeled everything; this worked-out very well in keeping things organized … original idea was posterboard but both Target & Walmart were out-of-stock while foamboard at Walmart was $1 / sheet, I think the foamboard worked-out better as the Scotch tape released from it fairly easily

From other sometimes-unrelated posts some of you are partly responsible for the ideas that went into this (so my thanks) and for some disclaimers:
  • This is the Retrosound wiring-color scheme from nearly 10 years ago & doesn’t match what they currently use
  • Drawings are not to scale
  • The wires enter the "Fuse & Filter" box through one of two points, not via every side as shown for simplicity
… and yes, it works, though it’s not yet in the car as it turns-out I have to pull the dash to properly mount the speaker (sonofa…)

(thumbnails are attached first, then the full-size images)

harness00.jpg harness01.jpg harness02.jpg harness03.jpg harness04.jpg harness05.jpg harness06.jpg harness07.jpg harness08.jpg harness09.jpg
harness00.jpg

harness01.jpg

harness02.jpg

harness03.jpg

harness04.jpg

harness05.jpg

harness06.jpg

harness07.jpg

harness08.jpg

harness09.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I always thought of it as a compliment when someone asked to see pictures of your car........:unsure:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So here is my new to me 67' Mustang but I am going to let popeye1978 keep it at his place, well at least until this radio is sorted out.

1573960893311.png

1573960921559.png

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor