Wiring Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
Allright, this is a tuff one. Anybody know what the difference between an '84 GP and '86 GP instrument panel wiring harness is? I called a local dealer to get part numbers hoping that they both use the same loom but they don't. The '84 uses part number 12049287 and the '86 uses 12058047. The instrument panel instrumentation is no different between the 2 cars. The reason I'm asking is that I wanted to swap the '84 harness into the '86. Someone had been behind the instrument panel before and chopped some wires to put in an aftermarket stereo. They aslo did something with the dome and courtesy lights. When I removed the instrument panel someone had joined the 3 white wires which feed the door switches and dome light to another white wire which I'm assuming is the feed. It was soldered, glued and taped....not the way the factory would have done it. And they don't work. I did put a meter on the wires to check for continuity and the wires are ok and when I push the door switch in the meter goes to zero just as it should. So because there are several issues with the '86 wiring harness I was just going to swap the '84 into the '86. But now I'm not sure based on the different part numbers. Can anyone help with this?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Allright, this is a tuff one. Anybody know what the difference between an '84 GP and '86 GP instrument panel wiring harness is? I called a local dealer to get part numbers hoping that they both use the same loom but they don't. The '84 uses part number 12049287 and the '86 uses 12058047. The instrument panel instrumentation is no different between the 2 cars. The reason I'm asking is that I wanted to swap the '84 harness into the '86. Someone had been behind the instrument panel before and chopped some wires to put in an aftermarket stereo. They aslo did something with the dome and courtesy lights. When I removed the instrument panel someone had joined the 3 white wires which feed the door switches and dome light to another white wire which I'm assuming is the feed. It was soldered, glued and taped....not the way the factory would have done it. And they don't work. I did put a meter on the wires to check for continuity and the wires are ok and when I push the door switch in the meter goes to zero just as it should. So because there are several issues with the '86 wiring harness I was just going to swap the '84 into the '86. But now I'm not sure based on the different part numbers. Can anyone help with this?
Hate to say it but GM did crazy junctions in harnesses. This was in a harness that I pulled out of a Monte Carlo. Untouched. Factory that was in a taped harness that went to the fuse block. It had tape on it that was similar to duct tape but black not gray. Needless to say I was surprised to find this.

IMG_1910 (002).JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Check the courtesy light fuse. They should have 12v backfed through the bulb, then the bulb (dome) lights when grounded.
mikester is right; that's probably a factory splice.
If the fuse is good and you still don't have power, there may be a power feed incorrectly positioned in the bulkhead connector due to the year change.
They're not that complicated; don't overthink it.

Last edited:

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
Hate to say it but GM did crazy junctions in harnesses. This was in a harness that I pulled out of a Monte Carlo. Untouched. Factory that was in a taped harness that went to the fuse block. It had tape on it that was similar to duct tape but black not gray. Needless to say I was surprised to find this.

View attachment 177550

OK. That's exactly like mine. Just a few less wires. Seems like either a GM electrical engineer screwed up or the mfg of the loom screwed up. I guess in this case the best thing to do is take everything over from the '84 to the '86 when I do the engine swap. Thanks everyone for your replies. Oh...and the fuse was the first thing I checked.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor