Wiring harness

Status
Not open for further replies.

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
My 78 monte’s harness is toast. It was rewired at one point in time but I trust none of it as it had an electrical fire in the engine bay. What kit should I go with to rewire it? I’ve done none of this before except making a simple harness to run the engine. I was looking at painless performance, as all their stuff is labeled. Any help would be appreciated.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
If its just the engine harness why not get some wire and make it yourself ? You can buy the Packard connectors. Get a set of crimpers from Summit. I bought wire in 25' coils in multiple colors from a place in MI. It wouldnt take that long. I even bought fusible link wire for the starter.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Might be able to find a good used & have less hassles installing it as those aftermarket ones usally require you to rewire the whole car. OPGI uses these guys for their repop harnesses http://www.wiringharness.com/ . On the home page click on the highlighted GM & search the online catalog.
Maybe someone might even have a good used harness here that will match your needs.

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I've installed a painless in a 67 Mustang in the past.

Granted, it was nothing as complex as a G-Body, but it was, indeed, pretty painless.

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 user

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
If its just the engine harness why not get some wire and make it yourself ? You can buy the Packard connectors. Get a set of crimpers from Summit. I bought wire in 25' coils in multiple colors from a place in MI. It wouldnt take that long. I even bought fusible link wire for the starter.
totally would do just the engine, but the fire melted part of the fuse block so I had to take out everything from the firewall forward is disconnected. This is what I have for the engine wiring right now:
449739D9-5C14-4F94-9B1C-B410E70A9A31.jpeg

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
Might be able to find a good used & have less hassles installing it as those aftermarket ones usally require you to rewire the whole car. OPGI uses these guys for their repop harnesses http://www.wiringharness.com/ . On the home page click on the highlighted GM & search the online catalog.
Maybe someone might even have a good used harness here that will match your needs.
Is there an “in search of” category I can post in to find something like this? I also know a yard in Oregon that said they’d sell me a 78 harness for 50 plus shipping...

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
As of right now it’s just a switch and push button start, completely bypassed ignition and i intend to keep it wired like that as it’s just gonna be a pocket rocket hot rod with no power anything. It’s a 350 swap.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Is there an “in search of” category I can post in to find something like this? I also know a yard in Oregon that said they’d sell me a 78 harness for 50 plus shipping...
Yea there is a link to click on the top of the home page to search my year/model.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
50 plus shipping sounds fair. I would try to get the bulkhead connector and fuse block on the body side, though because fire is evil.

As for aftermarket kits, I like American Autowire over Painful. Maybe an earlier model A body kit might work. Then you can upgrade to ATC fuses.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor