Wiring lights thru relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Correct the computer is using a transistor(s) as a switch, you would need to ID the transistor and see how much current it can sink.

Are the lights LEDs or light bulbs? You might get away with it if they are light bulbs and you change everything to LEDs and the total current draw of the LEDs is less than the original Light bulbs.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Correct the computer is using a transistor(s) as a switch, you would need to ID the transistor and see how much current it can sink.

Are the lights LEDs or light bulbs? You might get away with it if they are light bulbs and you change everything to LEDs and the total current draw of the LEDs is less than the original Light bulbs.
Oh gotcha. The original is a bulb and the aux lights are LED

I just found this and am trying to wrap my head around it --

" To wire up the relay find the + side of the cargo switch (orange wire, I think) to pin 86 on the relay connect the - side (blue/white) to pin 85 connect another 12volt + source to pin 30 and the output for your aux lights to pin 87. When you turn on the cargo lights the aux lights should work too. "

I think this is basically just switching 85 and 86 around which i thought i tried but no luck. Only difference is i am not using the orange hot at the switch and instead using a 12v+(Key on) at the fuse block.. not sure if that would matter ??

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

85Frankencar

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2010
Indy
Yeah, I was assuming it was a 12V source.
Oh gotcha. The original is a bulb and the aux lights are LED

I just found this and am trying to wrap my head around it --

" To wire up the relay find the + side of the cargo switch (orange wire, I think) to pin 86 on the relay connect the - side (blue/white) to pin 85 connect another 12volt + source to pin 30 and the output for your aux lights to pin 87. When you turn on the cargo lights the aux lights should work too. "

I think this is basically just switching 85 and 86 around which i thought i tried but no luck. Only difference is i am not using the orange hot at the switch and instead using a 12v+(Key on) at the fuse block.. not sure if that would matter ??
Yeah I was assuming it was from a straight 12V source. ELCAM said it best, if it goes through the computer than that may be another story. Can you measure the voltage at that pin, or maybe even the current?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Yeah, I was assuming it was a 12V source.

Yeah I was assuming it was from a straight 12V source. ELCAM said it best, if it goes through the computer than that may be another story. Can you measure the voltage at that pin, or maybe even the current?
Thanks guys i ended up just using a toggle switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor