wiring problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
have a 87 cutlass with newly rebuilt olds 455. the car is still being reassemble. so every couple week i'll start it to help keep the lifter pumped. doing one of the start up i just so happen to turn on the head light /parklight switch.. i don't why i did that , but when i turn the ignition off the engine keep running. first time that happen so i turn light switch off ,turn key to off and the engine shut off this time . i must add the dash has been completing removed. actually the cars inside has been guted waiting on the new interior. wondering if their may be a wire touching. don't know which wires i'll be using when i reinstall the dash. any ideal where should i start looking. i'm sure after some trouble shooting i maybe able to fine the problem, just trying to save myself so time.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It's probably the charge light circuit being incomplete. Just don't turn the lights on until it's back together. Things searching for ground makes big problems.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

wnagel

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2013
Santiago Of Chile.
Your light switch send 12 volts to ignition switch,, when you connect the harness you commit an error, your ignition switch need a constant 12 volts direct from fuse box to work well.

Apologize for my english.

Waldo. ,

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
It's probably the charge light circuit being incomplete. Just don't turn the lights on until it's back together. Things searching for ground makes big problems.

thanks
Your light switch send 12 volts to ignition switch,, when you connect the harness you commit an error, your ignition switch need a constant 12 volts direct from fuse box to work well.

Apologize for my english.

Waldo. ,
when i started the rebuild i did removed the fuse box from the inside of the car and engine bay so they could be repainted . so i hope when i reinstalled the box all the terminal made good contact. i'll make sure i check there first when i finish installing the dash. this site is really helpful someone trying to learn about restoring, modifying, and troubleshooting old cars.

thanks for info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor