Wishful thinking?

Trader history for carnutjw (0)

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
84 was one of the worst years for the 307. I don't mean it was any different than the rest of them, it was availability. There was a shortage of foundry engine blocks for the 307 in late 83, so a bulletin was issued restricting 307 to the big cars only. I got a copy of it around here somewhere. Hurst/Olds was the only exception to that restriction. Which means, 3.8 V6's abound. I don't know how long this lasted, as obviously some 84 G-bodies that weren't H/Os came with 307s. Ironically, Oldsmobile G-body production was STILL outstanding for the 1984 model year, 4th highest in the 78-88 model years with nearly a quarter million 2 door notchbacks. 79 (#1), 78 (#2), and 81 (#3) were the top of the heap in 2 door notchback styles.

My dad used to have an 84 Calais with a 307, but not sure when his build date was. Obviously not late 83 that's for sure. As a bonus, it was kinda cool it had an aluminum hood and bumper bars.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

ContactAdmin@GBodyForum.comfor info on becoming a sponsor