wondering how to put a 4 barrels on a N/A 301

Status
Not open for further replies.

stepside

n00b
Aug 2, 2011
hi, i have a 78 Grand Prix that i use as a daily driver. It got a naturally aspirated 301 and i was wondering how to put a 4 barrels on it ( not to make a power monster out of it, wich would end up as a useless moneypitt ) just to give it a wee bit more grunt on the go. Its my first carburated car, so i dont know sh*t about it. Do i need to change the intake manifold or any other parts in order to put the 4 barrels carburator ?

Thanks !

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
301 Garage is the place to go. Yes, a complete manifold change is in order. FWIW, a 4 barrel is not much help unless you have good rear gears to go along with it. I pulled my hair out trying to get an 80' 4 barrel Firebird to work and I ended up putting a 2 barrel on which worked better. The 2:41 rear gears just wouldn't let the 4 barrel breath. A Dualjet is just half a Q-jet, and can be played with the same way, rods and jets. If you have a 2GC, that can be played with also, but only jets.

stepside

n00b
Aug 2, 2011
HEY ! Bonnewagon !
Thanks a whole freakin lot, ya told me all i needed to know.
The mill will stay as it is right now. If the gain isnt worth the pain, to hell with it.
i'll just keep on piling up to finish the 383 / 700R4 ) ford 9'' differencial kit downstair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor