Would a NOS transmission require rebuild from sitting?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Came across this in its natural habitat, the original GM shipping container.

Screenshot_20230601_023019_Chrome.jpg

It's a BOP pattern th350. Being it has been stored in its original plastic crate for... well, a long time, I'm curious about thoughts. Supposedlynalso comes with a torque converter.

Asking is $1200, which.... for being fresh, and coming with the converter, doesn't seem like the worst deal in the world. Plus, not going to lie, the composite/plastic gm shipping crate is a cool bonus.

But... what are the odds things inside need another rebuild again because it sat so long?

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Unless the band material delaminated from the metal or the valve body gasket deteriorated, I would think it would drop in and drive.

Not to say I wouldn't refresh the pan gasket and the shaft seals so it wouldn't leak, but that is more of a convenience thing than a functional issue.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Agreed. New shaft seals are cheap and easy. Plus, pulling the pan to change the gasket allows you to see if anything did happen to get in the dipstick and kick down plugs. I’d remove the pan with the trans upright to ensure any dirt that did get in doesn’t get spread all over. They come in a plastic case, but how long was the transmission exposed to any elements over it's sheltered life? Who knows.

From what I understand, most goodwrench transmissions were rebuilt but units but with exacting tolerances to match as new but that wasn’t always the case, some were actually new. One way to tell is if there are any VIN markings that were ground off.

Regardless, this is a nice find, and 1200 isn't a bad price. Especially with that cool azz shipping crate.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Being that this is OEM remanufactured and still in original shipper, doubtful. The steels and clutches should be fine, bearings and bushings will be fine. The only items questionable would be the piston seals and the cut seals. A method to test is remove the pan and valve body and air check it.

If the seals are ok, the clutch packs will engage and compress like they should. As it has sat for long time, I would add a gallon and half, (6 quarts or so) Trans Fluid (not Bud Light) and install the TC and spin by hand just to engage pump and pre-lube. Most will fill converter, but should be enough just to pre-lube.

If you do have to rebuild, all you should need is the "overhaul" kit. Runs about $60 most places and is mostly just the rubber and paper parts. Some come with filter ... Some do not.

If you do have to open it up, that would be the time for the shift kit, HD Wide Band, open up port for second and double feed for third.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
That part number was already discontinued in the 1990 parts catalog so it’s got a few years on it

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor