Wrong thermostat??

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2018
I just got the 5.3 lsx started in my el Camino.

I have a new three core copper rad with two electric fans. The thermostat is a 187 F.

My car heats up to about 187. One fan kicks in, then the other after a bit. Some times one kicks out. But they are almost always running. The car holds 190 steady but the fans never quit. The lower rad hose seems quite a bit cooler then the return line. Am I running two hot of a thermostat. Should I be changing to a 160F?

Note sure what’s going on.

When I filled the rad full of water. I filled the rad. And I added coolant in a plug I have on the water pump spacer. I left the steam
Port hose off of the rad till it was full trying to avoid an air lock.

Any suggestions?

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
For a fuel injected 5.3L in a hot state a 160 degree thermostat will probably work fine... but the the real question is, what is making the fans come on?

Are they controlled by the LSX ECM or on-off thermo switches? Can't you just change the fan temps in the ECM? The second fan probably doesn't have to come on until 210 with a 190 degree thermostat. If it is set in the ECM to come on at 190, it will run forever with a 187 thermostat,

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

My Camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2018
For a fuel injected 5.3L in a hot state a 160 degree thermostat will probably work fine... but the the real question is, what is making the fans come on?

Are they controlled by the LSX ECM or on-off thermo switches? Can't you just change the fan temps in the ECM? The second fan probably doesn't have to come on until 210 with a 190 degree thermostat. If it is set in the ECM to come on at 190, it will run forever with a 187 thermostat,
They are controlled by the engine CPU. I will have the set points checked. I just assumed they would still have the factory setting. And I used the same temp rated thermostat that it came out with

My Camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2018

No one in my small town has a cpu that can read the temp and change set points. They can trigger them to turn on an off lol. But no programming.

So I changed to a 160 thermostat, and the fan cycles now as it should

Thx for the input fellas

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor