WTF Wires to Starter/Alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
So when I swapped over the buick V6 to the Pontiac 400 i may have messed up some of the wiring. Car starts and runs fine, but my alternator does not charge the system. I only had the one brown little wire going to it. I believe I should have about a 10 gauge red wire going to the screw on the back, correct? Well I have 2 10 gauge red wires going from the terminal block to the starter. They are both connected to the starter with one eyelet clip. I am thinking one of these need to go to the alternator? Does anybody out there know??????????

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I know on an Olds engine the wire runs from the stud on the back of the alternator directly to the positive battery post.

I would think that would be better rather than running a longer wire down to the starter and then back up to the battery.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Thanks, I'll try that Andrew. It seems to me that the two wires running to the eyelet clip were that way before, so it doesn't make sense to split them. If that does work and charges the battery, I'll be good.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The OE route is to the solenoid...less stray hot wires that way I guess

Mine was rigged direct to battery as well by prior owner, I assume the fusible link is burnt.

Here's a diagram out of the chevrolet manual

ChargeCircuit.jpg

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I guess I should clarify that all of the cars I've had that had the wire running directly from the alternator to the battery were 260/307 V8 Olds engine cars. That was the factory routing for them.

The V6 cars were apparently different.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Ya, I saw that wiring diagram over on Maliburacing. I guess I can't read a diagram very well. Where does the 3.0 Red wire that goes to the V2 spot actually go on the car. It makes no sense to me............

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'm no electrician, so take this for what it's worth....

One is in the connector with the brown wire, the other is on the stud at the rear of the alt.

Obviously, either way will work...i think the OE routing on the Chevs makes for a little cleaner install, but harder to repair in the car.

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
I have an 85 el Camino (V* with AC) and the prior owner did some home wiring of the two wires from the starter post and eliminated the fusible links. I want to replace the two fusible links for obvious reasons but I don't know whether I should use a 14, 16 or 18 gauge fusible link as a replacement. Does anyone know the fusible link specs for a g body?

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
yeah on my olds I have a wire running from the stud, fusiable link, started than positive post...that might fix your charging issues. Does your car have the Charge light? If it does, I recommend mocking that wiring set-up to see if the Charge light kicks on, it did on my olds when I wired it that way.

I want to replace the two fusible links for obvious reasons but I don't know whether I should use a 14, 16 or 18 gauge fusible link as a replacement. Does anyone know the fusible link specs for a g body?

I would just get a fusilable link similar to the picture below that matches your alternator amp rating and wire it between the stub and the starter. These types of fusiable links can be purchased at Autozone, or Napa (i got mine from napa).

BA1783205-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor