Y-pipe Exhaust Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
Hey everyone, been a long time since I've been on, and since I've had a chance to work on my project. Parts of my past project have changed, and for now I'm wanting to get her back on the road and in driving shape. I maybe asking a simple, straightforward question, but I haven't been able to find an answer yet.

I have the Hooker compitition headers 2466HKR shory headers some time ago. I also bought the American Thunder exhaust cat back system, with the stock, passenger side bend like this:
L241211-lrg.jpg

I understand I will probably need the cat delete pipe that connects to where the cat would originally be, since I do not have emissions testing where I am at. However, after that, is there a Y-pipe/intermediate pipe that connects from the headers to where the cat delete pipe would be? I have found plenty of options for the camaro/firebird F body cars, but nothing for ours.. Will they fit? I'm assuming no? I'd like to keep it mandrel bent tubes if at all possible. Any and all help/information would be gladly appreciated while I keep searching for an answer in the mean time. Thanks a bunch guys.

Last edited:

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I would just modify it into a true dual exhaust , I cracked the passenger side exhaust manifold on my 1981 El Camino SS. It had a "Y" pipe into dual 2 1/4 pipe to Flowmaster 3 Chamber mufflers .Then right behind the rear wheels .Since I couldn`t find another exhaust manifold. I put a set of FlowTech "Shorty" headers .And had the local exhaust shop notch the transmission crossmember.To make it a true dual exhaust . No cats. And at the time I had to go through emissions,It passed with flying colors.Even though I have a 290 HP 350 crate engine,Eldelbrock"Performer and 600 CFM carb,

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
I would just modify it into a true dual exhaust , I cracked the passenger side exhaust manifold on my 1981 El Camino SS. It had a "Y" pipe into dual 2 1/4 pipe to Flowmaster 3 Chamber mufflers .Then right behind the rear wheels .Since I couldn`t find another exhaust manifold. I put a set of FlowTech "Shorty" headers .And had the local exhaust shop notch the transmission crossmember.To make it a true dual exhaust . No cats. And at the time I had to go through emissions,It passed with flying colors.Even though I have a 290 HP 350 crate engine,Eldelbrock"Performer and 600 CFM carb,

Thanks for the reply. I have thought about going that route as well, although, I was hoping to not have to go that way since I spent the money on and have a perfectly fine system that hasn't been used yet. I might have to it seems, the more I look into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor