Yep, moved to the Klopeks, now for renovations!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Just letting you know, there's a nitwit on your roof taking pictures.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
It's pretty much official at this point - back to the old fashioned burbs. Cash offer - accepted. Inspections - passed. Only thing waiting on is title work from the closing attorney wo tells me it should be good, been holding off on making mention as not to jinx anything but papers will be able to get signed by next week.

Over the past 3 years where we've lived in Coastal Georgia has gone pretty well downhill. Apartments and townhouses going in everywhere. Density is up, drivers are becoming more and more.... a**hole-ish, costs are up and quality of goods and services were down, even pre-inflation nightmares. People living in the area have no skin in the game, no pride of ownership. Now, in the past year or so, town boards have approved another 3000+ units of apartments and live/work BS within 3 miles radius, on top of the last few years explosive growth. All this with zero budgeting in improving infrastructure theyve been studying as overwhelmed already - roads that can't handle current density at any time of day except middle of night. Lots of inner-city culture spilling outwards. Then youve got so many of these apartment dwellers and townhouse owners buy multiple larger breed dogs and think your yard is their walking grounds and bathroom, as if they're entitled. So, aside from my passive retaliation by planting poisonous and thorny plantings by our property edge ditches to discourage or reward them for entry, I've looked (and occasionally hinted here time and again) about our desire for large parcel land... well, quality of life has gotten so bad while that's still a priority, in the short term we're making a small hop in the meantime and waiting to see about the bigger permanent purchase.

Just not willing to put up with things any longer.

The new place is in a fairly built-out area of unincorporated south effingham county here in GA. Everything nearby the new place will at least be about what it is going forward, being fully built up with houses that have high enough values that buying them to raze and subdivide isn't in anyone's interest. So we'll be safe from density, not that the part of the county really supports low-pricepoint housing or multifamily units. Also, no sewer service means you need to support a primary septic and alternate sites on your land areas, so, big lots. And for new construction, those high land costs/large footprints mean builders are only putting in higher priced homes as well.

House itself a bit of a downsize for us at about 2500 Sq ft of single story living... for now. Might add a separate owners suite off the side or back for comfort. But it's usually just the two of us here so it's plenty of space for our uses. Currently one has one indoor fireplace (will increase that early on), some dated building features that can be updated like the in-wall speakers, older fixtures, etc. Upsides include has a 1 yr old roof with architectural shingles so who knows, maybe more life in it than I may have and is solid brick, 200 amp panel, a few years left at least on the water heater, heat and air stuff, etc, nat gas on site, underground utilities, high speed internet, the good stuff.

The lot is also smaller than my tastes at a bit under 2 acres, and smaller than what I'm accustomed to, but, has a very unique layout that plays much larger. It's in an older executive subdivision from the late 1980s, and the road is a unique layout. Roughly 60% of lots are "corner lot" types with road frontage on multiple sides, BUT, get the benefit of a side yard setback for zoning because there isn't a separate street, just a single winding one. From a privacy standpoint the non-thru usage road has low peak traffic count of about 60-ish cars a day, and less as deep in as we will be but gives an extra 50 foot row buffer to the neighboring properties on 2 sides, whose houses then have 100 foot building lines. For practical purposes, it means you get one neighboring house about 120 feet at closest point, but the other next closest homes in each direction are between 250 - 350 feet away.

View attachment 197642
So no being on top of neighbors, or them being forced on top of you!!!

My lot will also be one of only 3 in the subdivision meeting current zoning requirements to subdivide, nobody can come any closer.

Most importantly.... NO HOA. Currently ours will also be the 'ugly home' of the street if there is one - old landscaping dating to when it was built with many plantings around end of life, faded shutters, no accessory structures or pool, etc etc. Not to say in bad shape, it's not, just isn't up to the newest standards many other homes are.

While I haven't met any new neighbors in person yet, they seem friendly to the hobby - across the street in one direction is two gmcs and 3 corvettes I've seen. Another has a 70s f-series and 80s d150. Next door is a guy with 2 caddies and a zl1 camaro. All have detached additional garages with multiple bays elsewhere on the properties. One other house is separated by woods and I haven't been out that way. The guy with the Dodge was outside tinkering with it when we went to an inspection in one of the GHIG mustangs and although I didn't see, my wife said he waved when I asked what she was waving at while we left.

Not a huge distance move, but, gets us a good 30-45 minutes away from the s*it show we've been dealing with and maintains a zero mortgage situation. No need for a bridge loan when we decide to move elsewhere again.

In speaking to some local realtors we know, after putting in our updates the house is estimated to retail $106-131k more than were going to be spending. So, if we hold it 2 years, even if there's any market downturn we likely cover our money back + inflation and keep the difference tax free. If it appreciates? Even better. Subdivision across the street has some new construction selling 40% more money than our place for smaller homes/lots, so that's another good sign. That's why it makes financial sense even in this market to buy something we don't intend to remain in long term.... but, to get away from low quality of life and crazies of a fiscally and socially liberal county back into a fiscally and socially heavily conservative county would be worth it even at a loss.

So lots of work coming in the weeks ahead.

I'd REALLY like to get the firebird more drivable than the scary fuel situation that has me fearing a fire before the move, but we'll see. Will be closing likely next week on the new place, then doing a little light painting work before moving furniture over. D-Day to be out, cleaned up, and gone entirely from cheat-em county is no later than mid-June, then the current place goes up and available.
Nice, we bought 40 acres in SW Georgia in 92 and built in 94. Quiet and secluded. Congrats on the move

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Tentative closing date is now next Wed at 430.

Have had waves with the Paralegal, because, of course it needs to be complicated and she's a dumb twit. Or replace that last vowel, but seem to fit.

The more I interact with attorneys from the client side, I see why so many firms get a bad name. Filthy snakes, trying to extort you with jacked up fees on one hand and imply they *must* do things for you on the other that, FYI, they cannot require you to use them for if you don't want to - like who prepares a POA if it becomes required. No need to pay you $105 to do something I used to prepare professionally for years... and I *know* the rules on the fact you can't require it too. Called your bluff blotch.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Tentative closing date is now next Wed at 430.

Have had waves with the Paralegal, because, of course it needs to be complicated and she's a dumb twit. Or replace that last vowel, but seem to fit.

The more I interact with attorneys from the client side, I see why so many firms get a bad name. Filthy snakes, trying to extort you with jacked up fees on one hand and imply they *must* do things for you on the other that, FYI, they cannot require you to use them for if you don't want to - like who prepares a POA if it becomes required. No need to pay you $105 to do something I used to prepare professionally for years... and I *know* the rules on the fact you can't require it too. Called your bluff blotch.
They f**k you because they can and laugh about it.

These are the people that I hope I encounter outside of their arena. It hasn’t occurred as much as I’ve hoped, but it has. And I enjoy it to the fullest.

I used to be so much more timid when I was younger…….

not so much anymore.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
They f**k you because they can and laugh about it.

These are the people that I hope I encounter outside of their arena. It hasn’t occurred as much as I’ve hoped, but it has. And I enjoy it to the fullest.
I'm encountering them in their arena, and, luckily I'm well equipped to make their lives hell because i used to see, and fight, their tricks from the inside.

From the outside it's now just at least for a couple hours a day, for a few days/weeks every few years.

They don't finish the file they don't get paid. And nothing ruffles their feathers worse than that, but, raking them over the coals for their lies and BS is a close second. And you'd be surprised how much leeway a paying client gets under the rules of professional conduct they need to acquiesce to that makes their lives harder and saves you money.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It *looks* like closing has a 99% chance of being delayed. It was set to be a split signing, sellers at 11am and us at 4pm.

Whelp, turns out they've done jack about cleaning up the junk spread around, piled of debris they made, a locked shed with crap poking out and some POS derelict vehicles, a Lancer and dodge durango, doesn't get much worse than that. Then there's just random junk all around, broken outdoor and lawn items, half busted pallets and broken masonry, piles of old boots and mats, you name it.

So, text 1 to realtor that it ALL needs to go before closing I get told the contract doesn't apply to that.

Follows is phone call 1 from realtor asking me why I'm springing this at the 11th hour. I tell him that it's customary to do a walk through before closing. I took it upon ourselves to do a pre-walkthrough walk through to see how good or bad things are at the property, at least where we can access. so, I am doing extra, and actually raising this concern the day before it otherwise would.

Then text 2 to realtor I cite contract provision and send a picture of the clause, I get told he needs to talk to the attorney.

Now there's a phone call from realtor asking me how much would I want back in cash to just leave the junk as it is. No push back on clause and need to clean property. I say $1000. He says from what the listing agent says they didn't have a way to move the junk and its why it's there, but aren't doing any $1000. I respond how when we were there, with the listing agent, when one owner was there with a late model maroon silverado with full size bed, and, that was 2 weeks ago. They could've been cleaning and removing junk for 2 weeks and chose not to. I'm not going to do it. I told him to suggest they can work through the night, they can pack the junk vehicles to the ceilings. I don't care.

My last call from him is that we will just wait and see what the sellers response to removing the junk is, and maybe closing gets pushed a week.

Olds G's

Greasemonkey
Apr 6, 2020
CT
Peaceable Kingdoms are hard to afford anymore these days. I am very happy whenever someone finds theirs. Very, very tough to find these days.

• Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So, they did not get their acts together, as expected.

20220511_151317.jpg

Hard to tell, but, mixed piles of literal trash and wood remained. Also one junk vehicle in the driveway, plus this in the shed building:

20220511_152414.jpg

20220511_152419.jpg

Again, Hard to tell in picture. What you're seeing are about 70 gallons of jugs and pails of unknown liquids (solvents? Greases?) Then some bags and misc containers of fertilizers, some bags known, some containers unknown granular pesticides or fertilizers.

Short story, qualifies as toxic materials that are hard to dispose of.

They also left a pile about 4 ft wide and 5 ft tall of trash at driveway end, not picked up or disposed of, and random metal strewn around.

New closing date attempt: Monday. Hopefully they will get acts together by then.

On the upside, met one of the neighbors a guy named Larry who had a black/white cocker spaniel with him. Talked for about 10 minutes or so, turns out he bought into the neighborhood when it was new. He seemed happy to meet us and that some more normal people were moving into the area by the end of our conversation. (I guess the people who own the property were not what you called good neighbors and didn't fit the neighborhood.)

He offered us use of his tractors if we need it, or, if we need anything else in the meantime such as if my mowing deck isn't back together for a while after we close and we need help keeping things taken care of, he said just drop in and ask.

So that's a +1 to trying to get this coming together.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So, been making plans and making moves to gear up for this...

Got all our pre-closong ducks in a row:

- wires are in.
- homeowners has verbal binder issued, and a phone call Monday morning starts coverage. They agreed to waive the down payment as well.
- gas, electric are set up to start Tuesday

Cleanup had hit a brick wall. I had a strained call with our broker making it clear I expected the property cleaned up or we won't close, we will just push it back again. So, now stories changed, again, and supposedly the listing agent plus our agents are going to go out and help and/or make sure sellers who purportedly are FINALLY going to show up and do something to pick up the refuse on the lot.actually do so. It appears sellers REALLY want to close before payoff increases on the 17th.

So, it appears the debris, trash, etc will be gone. FINALLY.

Started prep work on alternative heat to lower the ridiculously priced natural gas bills to the extent we will need some winter heat in the home.

Also started looking into something that I can use for mowing the +/- 1.5 acres of open grassy areas on the land including the roadside dedication areas I need to maintain. I've got my old mtd/troy bilt riding mower, but, deck needs massive overhaul and a bunch of welding. So, may look into something with some extra utility to it instead. Unless an affordable (under $150 in working order) red 42" Troy bilt deck for a 2013 pony pops up nearby.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor