Yet ANOTHER 8.8 ford rear swap question thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

soloone87

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2014
hollywood,fl
So after looking around for a few days I've come up with more information than i can process, i know a fox body rear end will work and all you gotta do is weld the spring perches on and get the adjustable uppers.

BUT!

i found out that the ford explorer comes with an 8.8 5 lug with disc brakes. I have access to one of these axles and I'm really interested in using it since its a 5 lug disc brake set up and its the quickest cheapest option WITH posi already tossed in

so i guess my question is fox body vs explorer rear end what are the differences in swap procedure. i see they have an 8.8 swap kit out there now that corrects center line but will that make the ford explorer a straight bolt in swap (minus the spring perch mount)? im really confused and i need to know before i just get a posi 7.5 unit and drive it until it blows the rear axle out

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
The mustang is a 4 link set up and the Exploder is a leaf spring housing with out the brackets for the uppers or lower control arms. Plus the Exploder is wider then the early 8.8 mustang housings. Just order the 5 lug axels and use the ranger drums should be easy enough.

Reactions: 1 user

soloone87

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2014
hollywood,fl
i guess that answers that question. thank you yav8 i figure ill try and find a newer gt stang rear (5-lug & disc) and see if my current wheels will work without redrilling the axles

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
I did the Explorer swap on my 71' Plymouth Duster. The driver's side axle shaft and housing is longer than the passenger side, meaning you'd need to cut the driver's side to the same length as the passenger's side, and either buy two passenger side axle shafts, or find another at the junk yard.

I had an axle shop cut/weld my axle, and another shop assemble the new bearings and axles in the housing.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Same set up for a S-10 rear end or any thing that has a leaf spring. Some you don't even need to cut, just relocate the perches and go from their. 31 spline axels cheap posi units and a dime a dozen in the yards and a good choice of ratios. Just check the door jam for the axel and posi before you buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor