yet another AC question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I tried searching and looked through a boat load of old posts but couldn't find an answer so here I am again

I'm trying to get my AC working and the compressor kicks on and the clutch plate engages but then disengages repeatedly. is this because it needs more refrigerant? I used two cans just to see if the compressor evens works before I change filter drier and orifice etc

It held a vacuum overnight so I know I don't have leaks

As always any help is apprecited

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Sounds like the low pressure switch is working right.

Gauges are the way to be sure, but 2 cans (assuming R134A?) is still a little low for our A/C system.

If the Comp is cycling that's good, hold vac-good, somewhat cool temp at center outlet - good. Hard to say over the interwebs, but I would do my replacements and get the correct charge in her and see.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 user

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Sounds like the low pressure switch is working right.

Gauges are the way to be sure, but 2 cans (assuming R134A?) is still a little low for our A/C system.

If the Comp is cycling that's good, hold vac-good, somewhat cool temp at center outlet - good. Hard to say over the interwebs, but I would do my replacements and get the correct charge in her and see.

Hutch
Awesome. thanks man appreciate it

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
sounds like your system is working correctly.

I just refilled the system in my 84 ELCo from vacuum, took 3 cans to get it to stop cycling and put out 50 degree air, probably could used another 1/2 a can it was sdtill on the lower side of the pressure range on the low side of the system

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Add a little more and see if the cycling slows. If it does, you're on the right track. Soon you should get to a point that the compressor stays on a little longer. You can time it to see if you're making progress. Once you get it to stop cycling, then start worrying about getting the vent temps to come down.

Watch your gages and measure your vent temps and sneak up on those colder temps. Too much charge is about as bad for cooling as not enough charge. You likely should have about 2 and a half pounds (roughly) of 134a on a 3.25 lb R12 system.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, low on charge. As said the cycling switch is working as it is supposed to. Mine I'd doing the exact same thing and it is leaking by the high pressure cut out switch. My compressor sat on the shelf for 5 years so it should be expected. Also when you replace the accumulator or receiver dryer, whatever you want call it, a new adjustable orfice tube is a good idea, along with a can of oil for sure and maybe stop leak might not be a bad idea as well. It has to be low for a reason and oil leaks out first. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor