Yet Another Horn Issue

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Hoping someone can shed some light on an issue I’m having with my ‘85 Regal Limited. Horns used to work, now all of a sudden they don’t. I can hear the relay clicking when I press the horn button, but nothing. Checked all fuses, they’re all fine.
Hooked up a test light to the lead that goes to the horn and it’s got power at all times. I’m assuming the horn button completes the ground? When I hit the horn button the test light stays lit.
Anyone know how to test the actual horn? Just run a wire from the battery?

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Well, I tried everything everyone recommended and looks like they are both burnt out. Just seems odd. No spark, no nothing when connected to the battery.
Have new horns on order.

Reactions: 1 user

SSmooth84

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2019
Sandiego,California's
My money is on the horns themselves I had this happen before both low and high went out . If you have a harbor fright near you the sell a chrome kit for cheap and there louder then stock with all the hardware to install them . Good luck

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Yup, both horns were blown. Got some TRQ and they sound ok. Thanks all for your replies and advise!

Attachments

• IMG_6523.jpeg
    IMG_6523.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Corrosion can occur in the strangest places. Because the power goes through the horn body and grounds vis the mounting strap to the rad cradle, corrosion can appear between the strap and the horn body, and between the strap and the cradle. Those surfaces have to be clean and pretty to get that good ground. And speaking of grounds, It wouldn't hurt to have a ground wire from the cradle to the frame. Why? Because the cradle sits on body biscuits. The fenders are solidly mounted to the cradle, but they mount to the cabin and, suprise, the cabin sits on rubber biscuits. Now the cabin/car body does have a ground that attaches to the engine, and the engine has a ground that ultimately goes back to the battery, but that is a lot of wire and a lot of places for groundus interruptus to occur. A ground strap for the cradle is a quick way to short cut the factory and make sure your horns and headlights and anything else out there have a good solid circuit to work with.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor