Yet Another Old Guy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2020
Astoria, OR
Howdy Howdy G-Body people. Nearing retirement and don't really care for fishing!
Don't own a G-body at present but we did drive one for years back in the day,
Looked just like this, (but somewhat less 'new'!) We called it The Batmobile!

The Batmobile.jpg

It had a 305 and ran great. Nice cruiser. Stupid looking back end, though!
Anyway, I've got a project in mind and think a G-body chassis might work perfectly. The wheelbase is the same at 108".
I'd like to ask if anyone can tell me what the average measurement is from the ground up to the top of the carb on these.
The car I want to modify is a bit low in the hood and need to figure out if i can get it all in there. I don't want a hood scoop!
And how 'bout lowering - how low can these be lowered to get the top of the motor down?

This looks like a cool forum with lots of members and good ideas floating around.
If and when I get started on this I'll start to post updates.
Should be fun!

Reactions: 5 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Welcome! Plenty of Aeroback lovers around here. I own two myself. The measurement is going to vary depending on intake manifold, carb selection, and the air cleaner you choose to run. Here's the deal... you can lower the car/truck's suspension all you want , but the motor is going to sit in the same location. IF clearance is an issue, use a motor plate, instead of traditional motor mounts. I have stuffed a BBC with a Super Victor intake, Holley Dominator carb, and a dropped base air cleaner under the hood of a s10 pickup, by notching the front crossmember, and using a motor plate to mount the engine. Good luck with your project.

Reactions: 2 users

cardude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2020
Astoria, OR
Yeah, I figure I'll probably just get started and make it work! Thanks for the motor plate idea BTW!
Found a pic of the 'ole Batmobile sitting along side my Pinto Pickup toy I cruised around in for awhile.
pintoPU2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Welcome, even though I’ve never cared for Pinto’s, thats pretty cool. I’ve always heard that motor plates cause a real harsh ride. Not intended for a street car.

cardude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2020
Astoria, OR
Welcome, even though I’ve never cared for Pinto’s, thats pretty cool. I’ve always heard that motor plates cause a real harsh ride. Not intended for a street car.
Not to mention engine vibrations and noise also.
OK, here's my project car: a future front engine/rear drive Corvair. It's a super-straight '60 coupe with almost no rust.
projectCar.jpg

108" wheelbase, same as G-bodies. Besides the low hood line, I'm wondering about the distance between the firewall and the centerline of the front tires on both cars.
Need to park them side-by-side for a visual comparison. I've got my eye on a '79 Malibu wagon, V-8, with AC for my donor car. I would use it's firewall, (including cowling and
heat/AC components and structure, floor pan (for a trans/driveshaft tunnel), and of-course the entire perimeter frame and suspension.
Lots of sheet metal cutting/welding in my future! The G-body's track is an inch or two wider. The radiator and condenser may be fun to shoe-horn in there also.
Still working on the front grille opening and how it would look. Maybe something like a '58 Impala. Other than the grille I'd keep it stock-appearing except for tires & wheels.
How much fun would it be to blow the doors off Mustangs on a regular basis in a V8 Corvair!

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Have you searched for possible Corvair forums. I’ve seen Corvairs that were converted to front V-8s. I love the plan, right down my alley

cardude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2020
Astoria, OR
I've visited (and joined one) - They're pretty much purists over there. Lots of mid-engine type stuff, though. Besides, the drummer I march to is hardly ever seen by others!
All I know is you rarely ever see a Corvair of any kind of Mecum actions! Maybe this one will end up there!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yeah, I figure I'll probably just get started and make it work! Thanks for the motor plate idea BTW!
Found a pic of the 'ole Batmobile sitting along side my Pinto Pickup toy I cruised around in for awhile. View attachment 134948
Welcome aboard!
My neighbor had a Pinto wagon that was hit in the rear. I came over with my trusty sawz-all and oxy-acetylene tanks and we cut the bad section of roof off. It looked pretty good afterward. You did a nice job on yours. It looks factory stock.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor