You still got that 14" spare in your trunk ? What not to do.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Hey friends, I ask here because I still have one in my possession . All 4 in fact.

when I changed out my 14" stock wheels w/ wire basket covers For 15" mags I kept the best
one for a spare and have never replaced it.

Now, For those of you who may still have one of these in the trunk and your running larger
wheels and tires here is some food for thought.
1. The wheels can be used on the front of the car, and will at least get you home.(the car
will steer a little weird)
2. make sure you have the correct lug nuts on hand for the OEM wheel (they differ greatly from
mag style lugs)
3. Also the wheel lug wrench for removal and tightening may be different than your mags use.
4. Check the air pressure in the spare more than twice a year.
5. Never run un equal size tires and wheels on the rear of the car. ( the difference in diameter will cause one axle shaft to rotate at a different speed then the other axle. Which can damage the
locker (if you have one), differential, rear gears and so on.) For open diffs it may work for short distances. Drive slow.

So does that mean if you run larger tires in the rear (like I do) and the front are smaller I need two different spares.? To be car correct uh Yes!

The best thing to do if you have only room or budget for one spare is to get a rim and tire that is very close to the OD of your Rear tire. use this as your only spare. It could be still used possibly on the front (tighter fit less steering room, rubbing ,ect ) But may just be the best solution.
Unless your running super huge rubber like 565BB does:doh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I still have the 14" tire in the tire well. You can't fit anything larger in there, except maybe a space saver spare, which is what I'm considering. One of the inflatable types with a 15 or 16" rim. I missed out on one from an '80's IROC Camaro...that would have been the ticket. It also had the can of OEM tire inflater...missed out on that deal.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
I hear you LR79, And yes Any tire bigger than the 14" w/ 215 70R 14 will not fit in the holder.
They must have figured "we will just let them use this wheel size only and make them sweat it"...
So the best thing to do is go for a wheel laid down flat in the trunk. Talk about space killer.
I do not drive my car much or for very long distance so maybe it would be better for me to have
someone from the house bring me a spare if I have a flat . Rather than carry the weighty and
room killing spare....

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I hear you there, buddy.
Using a full size spare in the trunk, or cargo area in a wagon will certainly eat up that extra space. You're right, GM intended everyone to use the 14" undersized tires...and again, I guess they didn't expect people to own these cars as long as they have.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
With an open carrier you will not damage anything by running two different sized tires

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a big tire in my wagon sump. It is a 205-75-15 and I just went out to check. It sure came in handy too. I was coming home from fishing and had just gotten on the Belt Parkway when I got a front tire blowout and had to bail fast. I had 225-75-15's at the time and the 205 was close enough to work well. The hold down clamp even fits but I may have used a longer "J" bolt in the middle.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
For those of us that run larger tires find a 04-06 GTO spare. 145 70 17.

I can not run a 14" spare at all. 1st on the front my air dam would scrape, 2nd won't clear my rear calipers, 3rd I have an independent rear posi so a 17 and a 14 would be a disaster.

I just had a front tire failure... So I know that joy well. IMG_20160402_204527.jpg IMG_20160402_220949.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am still looking for a 'super mini" spare to fit in my trunk.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I do have a mini spare but my main back up is CAA. I had an hour drive but I got it home on this one...

tire.JPG

Last edited:
  • Agree

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Spare tire does not compute... Error.
"race car"
noun
an automobile built or modified for racing by making huge amounts of power(probably more than you should) and removing unwanted weight(definitely more than you should) . Lots of shiny parts and loud noises that go vroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor