Your best roadtrip memories ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Just like the title says; Post up your most memorable road trip experiences. Doesn't need to be in a Gbody either.

August 1998: I had been working on my truck for almost a year in preparation for Hot August Nights. I had done an engine, transmission and rearend swap over the previous months and was out of money. I knew that there was no way my stock 1935 radiator would make it so I got my hustle on and worked a deal. I agreed to do some work on a guy's '73 Grand Prix in exchange for his Jeep DJ5 (mail truck). I then sold the Jeep and used the profit to have a custom radiator built by a local shop. It was finished about a week before the trip, immediately started leaking, was removed and returned. The shop had the radiator repaired on Tuesday. That left me with about 100 miles of shakedown before I left town.
My buddy Jerod and I were all packed and ready to go. He was in his '38 Chevy and I was in my '35 Ford. The plan was to leave Pendleton, Oregon on Thursday night after work and sleep in Burns at a friend's ranch. It was 150 miles and couldn't have gone better. Got up the next morning and left to meet up with my dad in Susanville (another 300 miles), then we all caravaned in to Reno, then on to Carson City where we had a room. We went back in to town that night for the Virginia Street cruise and saw hundreds of cool cars. Saturday morning we decided to cruise over to Sparks. While sitting in traffic trying to get out of Carson City my radiator started leaking, well, more like gushing at the top tank seam. Perfect. We all pulled into a Napa parking lot to survey the situation. The split was about 2 inches long and about 1/8" wide. I went inside, bought some JB Weld and used an old nail I found on the edge of the street to bridge the gap. We left the '35 in the Napa parking lot and I caught a ride with my dad in his V8 240Z. We had a great day and enjoyed the sights but I was pretty stressed about making it 600 miles back to Pendleton. We made it back to Carson City about 7pm and were trying to decide what to do. After talking it over, Jerod and I decided that we'd grab a couple gallons of water and leave that night. Little did we know, by leaving early we avoided the famous riot where dozens of cars were damaged.
By 9pm we we burning up the asphalt. My dad traveled with us as far as Susanville then headed west. Neither of us had very large tanks so we tried to stop every 100 miles or so. It was dark, the moon was out and the stars were bright. There was almost no traffic at all on the 2 lane roads and we were making great time with the occasional 100+mph blasts. The JB Welded nail held up great. It's a pretty rural stretch with few small towns. We made it as far as Burns for our last fill-up around 3am and were headed north covering almost 400 miles so far. Knowing that nothing would be open in John Day for our next gas stop, we pulled off the highway and up on to a plateau overlooking the valley. In spite of the freezing temperatures we rolled out our sleeping bags in the back of our respective pickups and got about 90 minutes of sleep. Up before the sun and on tho our last fill-up. Then back to Pendleton in time for breakfast.
It was Two Lane Blacktop meets Easyrider meets Vanishing Point. Pretty sweet trip and I'll never forget it.
scan0013_zps170734e4.jpg

scan0012_zps39e25f06.jpg

BTW, the radiator shop fixed the radiator again but never once said the magic words, "I'm sorry" :?

Who's next?

Nov 4, 2012
As of yet, the greatest road trip ever, occurred when we took a trip to Canada. Not "great" in a good way, but great in how it was such a fail. No offense to any Canadians here. It happened circa 2005, mom, dad, myself and siblings, all packed into the station wagon, and headed off to Niagra Falls. So we booked this trip for a week, we would be staying on the Canadian side of the falls. We got lost 3 times on the way, lol.

Mom- "Dammit Rick (my father),I told you, the map says turn here!"
Dad, in Reply- "I don't give a rat's fat *ss what the map says Mary (my mom), I've been driving for 30 years, I know where the hell I'm going!"

No he didn't.

So anyways, we finally got to the gate, entering into Canada, and... My mom grabbed the wrong purse, and didn't have her drivers license. So, after pleading with the officer at the gate for, oh, I don't know, 15 minutes, he let us through. Well, at least we could now go to our nice hotel that we have reservations for. Well when we got to the hotel, it was surrounded by fire trucks. There had been a huge fire in the elevator, and no one was allowed in or out. So it was around dinner time, so we decided to go eat. We went to a pizza place and got 6 cokes and a small pizza. They hand us the bill and it was $50! :wtf: anyway we pay the bill, tip the waiter NOTHING, and left. By this time, we were allowed back in our hotel, but we couldn't use the elavator. Ok, except we had a top floor hotel room. :blam:

There was more to that trip that went wrong that I won't get into, but lets just say I won't be going to Canada anytime soon.

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
Glad you brought this up "Driven"

Best road trips in My previous G-Body's were in the 80's and ended up in a parking lot with my Date after a movie.
Bench seats are way Under-Rated........ :mrgreen:

<Mike>

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Not the best....but funny.

I had to go to a job site about 3 hours away with a co-worker one time. Well anyway, a couple of hours into the trip he starts complaining about his stomach hurting from eating Mexican food the night before.

We're in the middle of nowhere, driving on a rural road, 5am or so, with no bathrooms for miles. After going on about how bad it was for the next 30 minutes, he finally decided he couldn't take it anymore and had me pull off to the side of the road. We're only about 100 yards from someones house and maybe 20 feet from a cornfield. So I think he's going to duck into the cornfield to take a dump. But nooooo, he jumps out, squats down next to the truck, holding the back bumper so he doesn't fall, and takes a dump on the shoulder of the road instead! A few cars came by and he's trying his best to hide on the side of the truck but it's no use. On top of that, he wiped his *ss with a nasty shop rag! And you're damn right I told everyone at work about it when we got back! :lol:

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
Summer of 2003. A friend of mine had a brother than lived with girlfriend on an Indian reservation. come to find out that there was a late seventies aero coupe impala, sitting in a yard there. We could have it for free if we came out and removed it. Thinking this car might be worth some money, we went back to my friends dad's house to get a tow rope and his old Ford pickup, and We go back there to get the car.

We hooked the tow rope to the car, and I got volunteered, to steer this thing, the 20 or so miles back to the farm. We found out that all the seats were removed from the car, and the car was loaded with junk. Apparently the owners were using it for some type of storage shed.

We found two car rims in the car, and stacked them up so i could see to steer. Then we were off. Coming out of the place, is a windy down hill road. Half way down the hill, I find out this car has no brakes. Around one of the corners the car rims tip over, and I get wedged under the dash. At the same time my buddy looks behind to see how the cars tracking, and sees no driver and it weaving all over the road. My friend thought that I had bailed out for some reason.

He then sees my hand grab the top of the steering wheel, and pull my self back up. Then about two miles later we get to the bottom of the hill. This car has no brakes, and I end up rear ending the pickup, and I hit the windshield.

The guys farm is on a gravel road, and right before it there is a concrete bridge. We also called it the burnout bridge, since it was the only piece of pavement on the road. As we were crossing the bridge, my buddy yells at me to hit the bridge with the car. So I ram the car into the bridge, and it did no damage to the thing. Cars now days would have shattered.

We get this car back, and found out the motor was blown, and the trans was missing as well. We ended up taking the aero window out, and called the scrap guy to come get it. I know its not quite a g-body, but my buddy and I still laugh about it like it happened yesterday.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
In a summer in the mid 80's I drove to Florida with my three kids in my 74 Grand Prix. My kids were aged 4 to 7 at the time and were living with my ex and she was nice enough to pack all their winter clothes making sure the kids came home with new summer wardrobes. My 74 GP was a pleasure to drive but it was my kids who made that trip the Disneyland and to east coast beaches the best road trip I will ever have. Not mine but identical to the one I had

01.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That looks identical to the one in my story too. Only my buddy's car had an unfortunate 3 foot crease down the driver's door.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
I have drove to flordia and back twice with my parents to go on crusies. Those are my best roadtrips to date. I hope to have many more.

But on the trip to flordia the best moment was in the mountains of pen state holy the fog and the snow made it scary as hell in the corner and turns. I just tucked in behind a transport and followed I guess they know the rout so well so what the hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor