Your Car Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Everyone has a car story about when they purchased their beloved G body. Some may be funny, sad, disheartening ect. ect. or perhaps something unique happened or the person you purchased it from was one to remember. I know i have purchased so many over the years, and could probably fill a book with stories. Its always nice to reminisce in the good memories, so if you have any you would love to share, id love to read about it!

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
My dad picked this one up in 1989 with less then 10K on it
I bought it from him in 2007 with 230K on it
If I would have known I was going to own this car later in life I would have never ran it through corn fields the car has 266K on it now thanks DAD your the best
I don’t know how the corncob got wedge in the rad
EF9F9A45-C384-441E-AA83-6FACDF4528F1.jpeg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I talked to the guy selling my Cutlass for 2g's but just couldn't come up with the money. Saw him at the gas station months later, asked if he still had it, he says "Yep, bring 500 bucks and get this off my property."

Gave him $200 down right then, sold my crew cab malibu a couple days later and picked up the Cutty.

My current Malibu is the same year and 2 tone paint as my crew cab was. Was for sale for $2500 FOREVER, then it disappeared. Couple years later I start seeing it parked a few blocks away from my house. One day I decided to knock on the door and ask if it might be for sale. The lady says "As a matter of fact, it just came up for sale! Just haven't put a sign in it yet." Guy wanted $1000, negotiated for $800 and drove it home.

Reactions: 6 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Everyone has a car story about when they purchased their beloved G body. Some may be funny, sad, disheartening ect. ect. or perhaps something unique happened or the person you purchased it from was one to remember. I know i have purchased so many over the years, and could probably fill a book with stories. Its always nice to reminisce in the good memories, so if you have any you would love to share, id love to read about it!
One of my most memorable G body story was actually a 1980 A body....I had been blogging on a site and seen a members car. I fell in love with it and had to have it no matter what. It was a rare Century Turbo Coupe. The gentlemen was unwilling to sell and explained to me he had over 12K in receipts and listed what he had done to this car. He assured me that when he was ready to sell, he would contact me. Well, we stayed in touch for almost 7 years after that, and One day i hit him up again, and he informed me the car WAS indeed for sale, he had listed it...im thinking, why the heck didn't you TELL ME like promised! GEEZ ....So he sent pictures and information, we agreed on a price, and about one month + latter the shipper had dropped it off to me. I wont get into any GREAT details, but getting this car into the United States from Canada, was literally a nightmare and very costly when the seller tried to drive it across the border to meet my shipper, and told the border patrol he had "sold the car"....anyway, I love this car and have learned since, its 1 of 10 with the 1st run body code. Would I do it all again, HECK YEAH lol.

Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I was stationed at Ft. Stewart in Georgia. Looking at ads in the Savanna paper, saw a Monte SS for sale at a Chevy dealer. Ran right out. Was sold by the time I got there. Kicked around the lot looking at other cars, noticed a baby blue two door '78 Malibu in the far back. Definitely the trade in/auction/junk car section. Asked the salesman about it. Well we can't sell that, no title. I don't need one, I have the same car, I'll use it for parts. He goes in to ask his manager about it. Hey, I found the title! Yeah right. We dicker, I drove it home an hour later for $400. Barely made it, the transmission was smoked. 305 burned more oil than gas. Body was cleaner than the NY one I was driving though. A month or so goes by. Hadn't really done anything with it yet. I was still driving the old '78 I had brought down from NY. Then the frame rails cracked in half 🤣 I spent Thanksgiving weekend of 1994 swapping the drivetrain from my old Malibu to this one and I've owned it ever since.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

hayabrusa

Apprentice
Supporting Member
Oct 7, 2015
When i was 18 i purchased my first car, 1980 malibu. but being young i sold it when 5 years later. Always wanted it back so 8 years ago i went on a search for it and when i located the last owner he informed me that they crushed it 6 months earlier... So about 5 years ago i purchased my 81 malibu to recreate my first car but only better so i can hand it down to one of my children. Just need to figure out who will get it:cautious:

Reactions: 3 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I wanted a G-Wagon to use as a driver, parts runner and all around utility vehicle. I saw mine for sale on Craigslist but it was more than I wanted to spend. So I printed off the seller's info and kept on looking.

Three months later, I still hadn't found anything else so I called the guy. He still had it and changed his mind about selling it. He wanted to get it running better and then take it to the body shop for a complete re-do. We chatted a bit and he confessed that it was at a shop nearby me having some work done and if I was interested in checking it out in person I could at my convenience.

The day I called him to go and see it, he was actually driving it back home and was going to keep it. I told him to keep my number in case he ever changed his mind again. Another month or so later he called and decided that he was going to get rid of it. He was tired of putting money into it, it was still running terribly, and his son (who the car was for) dropped out of college and wasn't in too big of a hurry to find a job. I wasn't able to go see it for another week due to a business trip.

When I went to see it I could tell that he had cut a bunch of corners slapping it together. We made a deal and I dragged it home on a two-wheel dolly. I didn't need to drive it right away since I had my then current beater still going.

I spent from Thanksgiving through March of that year going through EVERYTHING. 90% of what he did or had done, was redone again, correctly, by me. Then once I started driving it, I found other things that needed to be addressed. This guy was a HACK in every sense of the word. I really only used whatever parts I had laying around to get it back together and reliable.

That was three years ago. I've since put 25,000 miles on it driving it pretty much everyday, year round. I'll share some before and afters.

IMG_2948.JPG IMG_2950.JPG IMG_2951.JPG IMG_2953.JPG IMG_3055.JPG IMG_3056.JPG IMG_3057.JPG IMG_3097.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
I grew up in these cars as a kid. My parents had 2 monte carlos when they were still married , when they got divorced mom kept the 87 LS monte carlo and my dad bought a mint 88 cutlass supreme classic that car was full loaded for a g body. Years went by I learned to drive in my dads cutlass had alot of mini vacations with the old man in that car, great memories there.. Then one night he wrecked it totaled the car, So once I got a good job and I started looking for something to make memoires with my son so I bought this 86 as seen here. I bought it down south with 75k on the clock one owner super clean car, built it the way I wanted too, and autocross as much as I can. I hope my boy takes a liking to these g bodies that I did when I was a young lad like him..

Attachments

• IMG_0703.JPG
    IMG_0703.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I happened across my Bonneville because I seen a vaguely G-Body shaped vehicle parked in a row behind our local Pontiac enthusiasts shop. When I asked about it, I found out that it was a local family's car that had been garaged all of its life up until about 2 years before I found it.

The reason he had it is the 3.8 that it had snapped a cam in half at 101,000 miles. He tried replacing it with a junkyard 3.8 and never could get it to run. He later had another vehicle hit the rear passenger door and cave it in a little. After all that, he offered it to me for $300 just to get what he had in it back out.

Best $300 I have spent in a long time.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I got my 81 Malibu back in 07. My dad said his friend had either an 81 or 01, for some reason my dad couldn’t remember, Malibu for sale for $650. It was his mother’s and she couldn’t drive anymore. I pulled up and it was a grandma fresh 37k mi 81 Malibu Classic. It was in the garage it spent its whole life in. The car was pretty much rust free except for the doors and had every service record down to putting on and taking off the snow tires. I bought it on the spot. After I bought it he told me he had a dishwasher from the restaurant he worked at coming to look at it the next day. I’m glad I grabbed it. I just wished I could’ve stayed motivated and been further along in the project than I am.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor