Your first true love!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never had a personal experience with a g body myself. But here's one:

Back when I was about 8 years old, my dad had owned a 69' Dodge Dart swinger that he origionally bought in california. This car, after we did minor touch ups, had a bright green paint job with the black vinyl top and a 360 magnum engine. This thing turned so many heads and ran great. I liked it better than my dads 67' Dodge Dart GTS because it ran at the time. But because he was married to my mother, psycho bi***, she made him sell it. When he was at a car show, a guy walked up and asked what it would take for him to sell the car. He just threw up a number saying 5500, and the car started writing the check when my dad thought he was joking. Of course my mother said " well you can sell it and put the money towards your 67' dart". He never saw the money and she bought a toyota camry with it. The car went to the guys 15 year old son as his first car. This all happened back in 1998. We came back to texas back in 2007 and found out from local mopar guys that the kid wrapped it around a telephone pole. My dad was so well know for that car, that when the kid drove it to McDonalds a couple days after his dad bought it, the McDonald employees called the police claiming the kid stole the car. :twisted:

A couple years later my old man bought a 1950 Dodge wayfarer business coupe that was all origional with the flathead motor v8. The car was very clean on the outside, but the main point was the interior. The inside of this car was just as perfect as it rolled off the show room floor. Chrome had no pitting and the headlight and seats smelled new. He bought it for 400 and sold it 400 because he needed the money to help with lawyer fees during my parents divorce.

Here is my old mans 67' Dart but it didn't look like this when he had the 69' Dart Swinger.
DartinOct08001.jpg

patmckinneyracing said:
I never had a personal experience with a g body myself. But here's one:

Back when I was about 8 years old, my dad had owned a 69' Dodge Dart swinger that he origionally bought in california. This car, after we did minor touch ups, had a bright green paint job with the black vinyl top and a 360 magnum engine. This thing turned so many heads and ran great. I liked it better than my dads 67' Dodge Dart GTS because it ran at the time. But because he was married to my mother, psycho bi***, she made him sell it. When he was at a car show, a guy walked up and asked what it would take for him to sell the car. He just threw up a number saying 5500, and the car started writing the check when my dad thought he was joking. Of course my mother said " well you can sell it and put the money towards your 67' dart". He never saw the money and she bought a toyota camry with it. The car went to the guys 15 year old son as his first car. This all happened back in 1998. We came back to texas back in 2007 and found out from local mopar guys that the kid wrapped it around a telephone pole. My dad was so well know for that car, that when the kid drove it to McDonalds a couple days after his dad bought it, the McDonald employees called the police claiming the kid stole the car. :twisted:

A couple years later my old man bought a 1950 Dodge wayfarer business coupe that was all origional with the flathead motor v8. The car was very clean on the outside, but the main point was the interior. The inside of this car was just as perfect as it rolled off the show room floor. Chrome had no pitting and the headlight and seats smelled new. He bought it for 400 and sold it 400 because he needed the money to help with lawyer fees during my parents divorce.

Here is my old mans 67' Dart but it didn't look like this when he had the 69' Dart Swinger.
DartinOct08001.jpg

That's not a bad lookin' Dart...

BTW a '50 Wayfarer wouldn't have a Flathead V8 it would be a flathead L6, Dodge didn't have a V8 until '51 which was the little Red Ram Hemi... which still wasn't a flathead...

Maybe it was a flat 6. As I said I was only like 8 or 9 at the time and was having a hard time figuring out the difference between a crankshaft and camshaft lol

mopar
M move
O over
P people
A are
R racing :rofl:

O verly
L uxurious
D isplayed
S crap

P oor
O ld
N igg**
T hinks
I t's
A
C adillac

C lassy
H icks
E ven
V alue
R eally
O utstandingly
L oud
E xhaust
T one

Unfortunately, mopar doesn't get respect even though they still hold the record for the fastest factory production vehicle (1968 Dodge Dart GTS Hemi, 0-60 2.3 sec) and the greatest power producing motors. That's why chevy and ford bitched back in the racing days cause they couldn't keep up with the mopars. So they outlawed the plymouth superbird, then the hemi, then big block mopars, and finally they had a chance against small block mopars.

thats definately true. my next door neighbor is a mopar fanatic, not the kind that talks about all the cool mopars he's had, but the kind that has all the cool mopars he's had, and still brings them home. 6? gtsdart273 4 speed, an actual demon,
a 6? sattelite he calls sputnik(haha) 440 tunnelram and 4 speed as well. he has a superbee on rotiserie in his garage too. he's a really nice guy. we go back and forth on a daily basis about racing. he actually drives and regularly drag/street races all his cars too. but i havent lost to one of them yet, maybe one day.

Yeah Mopars are insane engine wise... 440 6 Pack,426 Max Wedge, 426 Hemi, 392 Hemi, the Poly motors are pretty bad *ss too... And the little Hemis, all Hot Rodder Gold...

I'd have to say Olds, Mopar, and Ford have my favorite engines... Chevies are cool but they don't interest me as much...

Then there's the Buick Nailheads (401,425), AMC 401's, Caddy (331, 472, 500), Studebaker had a little V8 based off the early Rockets and the 331 Cad, A few cool Poncho motors... Good ol' 100 horse Merc flathead V8's, Straight 8 Buicks were pretty hot in their day, Hudson Hornet 6's, and I know I'm forgetting quite a few others....

I loved my little 350 in my malibu, but when I'm in my dad's dart, that thing throws you in the seat like no other. Here's his engine:

Dartmovie017.jpg

That's why with my roadrunner I've already pulled a 440 out of the junkyard for it. Ive got the numbers matching 383, 4 speed, etc. The whole car is origional but I don't want to trash those parts so I'm building up a 440 along with the extra 4 speed. I fell in love with the 71 roadrunner when I saw Richard Petty racing one....plus I couldn't afford a superbird lol.

For me it was a Chevy Monza. I was about 15, and I had about $1500 to spend on my first car. I looked at a couple Monte's first. A nice looking early 70s one. But that was a bit to big for me. Then I looked at an early 80s one, was gonna buy that. The one day I was out cruising with my brother (down back alleys looking for cars lol) when we spotted a burgandy Monza He said they were cool little cars, and that we could stuff a V-8 into it. Well it happened to be in REALLY rough shape so I passed on it. But I wanted a Monza really bad now.

Then a couple weeks later I was skipping school, and walking home. When all of a sudden my brother pulls up beside me and said I had to come with him right away, so I hopped in We went to this house, and in the driveway was a silver Monza. We couldn't see to much because it was covered in snow. But the body looked pretty good on it. And we could see through the hatch window that they were just useing the car for storing a bunch of junk inside. So we go to the door and a lady answers. We ask if the car is for sale, and she says she doesn't know, it's her husband's car. But if we stopped by after he was home from work we could talk to him. So we stop by later that night, and the guy has swept all the snow off it, and already cleaned out all the junk on the interior (hmm, looks like someone wants to sell it really bad? lol). So we talk a bit and then tell him all I got is $500. He says deal (score!), so we fired it up (yes it started) and drove it home in the snow with no plates lol.

SO now about the car. It was a 1979 Monza Spyder. Silver with red interior. Factory 305/TH350 with a 2.29:1 7.5" rear. No A/C, No power windows or locks, had the full gauge package. The thin was rough looking, but not to bad. Like I said, the body was beautiful. The rallys were all rusted, the interior was shot, and the engine bay looked like it was a hundred years old lol.

We re-did the whole interior (parts from other cars and some dye), and I have to say, from the inside the car looked like it was brand new. Had the rallys blasted and repainted with new rubber (I also had to go and 'pick up' some new center caps and beauty rings). Re-did all the brakes. Replaced any suspension parts that were needed. New fluid in the rear. Shift kit for the transmission. And then we pulled the motor (still the original 305) and gave it a new cam (from an SS350 Chevelle), lifters, oil pump, water pump, pulled the heads and did a DIY valve job with valve grinding compound and a drill, added ford umbrella seals, put on an aluminum intake (just a stock GM 4 barrel one) and a rebuilt carb from a 350. Also all new gaskets, plugs, wires, and stuff like that. Dropped it back in and got a set of duels (dumped in front of the rear) with these little baby blue bottle glass packs. The body didn't need much. We just washed and waxed it and that was it. It did't look perfect. But from 20' away it looked mint.

So I drove the hell out of it for 2 years (what do you expect, I was 16 and it was mt first car lol. Then I parked it with plans of upgrading a bunch of stuff. Well at this point it sat for another year or two.

Then I finally started putting it back together. Put on a set of Doug Thorly side exiting headers (hacked it into my old exhaust, and yes it looked like crap), put on an old style Torker II intake, put some HUGE *ss cam in it, a holley 650 DP, and a lame velocity stack (hacked an ugly hole in the hood for that. Well as most of you will know, it ran like crap and made way less power than it did before. And after about 2 months I blew the engine. I spun a rod bearing, witch caused one of the pistons tp come up to high. It smacked the valves and broke the cam (into 4 pieces), knocked the head hard enough that it broke the seal on the head gasket, ant I actually broke a rod, and a piece of that shot out the side right through the oil pan When I took it apart what was left of the rod now had a 90 degree bend in it. So now I parked it again for another year.

Then a buddy of mine was interested in it. He had a 1980 GP that was fully loaded, and I mean FULLY loaded. He had been working on it for about 6 months. rebuilt carb, distributor, new water pump, and bunch of little stuff. All it needed was a cam (301) and some wiring under the hood fixed (this was his main reason for wanting to get rid of it, he hated electrical stuff. He wanted to trade me straight across, so I now owned my first g-body lol (and that's a whole other story).

So now a year later, the guy with my monza has replaced the blown 305 with a good 350, ditched the headers and got new duals (exits in front of the rear wheel, and still my old blue bottles lol), new transmission, tinted the windows, primed the whole car grey (except the black trim and the new hood, he painted all that flat black), a nice set of fat/skinny aluminum slots, and a nice stereo with a sub. A nice B&M rachet shifter. And he wants to sell it (was getting a divorce). So I buy the car back.

So again I have my monza back. So I got the exhaust redone to exit out the back (was getting a headache from his set up), had to replace a head, redo the starter wire, and that was about it. Oh, and I put a 6-AL into it. Drove it for another year. But at this point all the suspension was shot. And at that time there were no aftermarket parts available for it. And most of the original stuff was disscontinued from GM so I was screwed. Finally the transmission went on it, so I parked it again.

So then after another 2 years, I have a buddy who spent about $3000 rebuilding a 305 (yeah I don't know what he was on either lol) and wanted a small car to put it in. And I needed cash at the time so I sold it to him, and for cheap. Minus the 350, the 6-AL, the steering wheel, and my shifter. And that was the last I ever seen of it.

BUT......... sadly that's not the last I heard of the car. Now, when I sold it I didn't want to have to see someone else driving it. And he was planning on moving back home (other side of the country), so I had no worry of ever seeing it again. But 3 years later I get this letter in the mail. It says that my monza was found abandoned in a back alley. And that it had been towed and stored for 6 months. AND now it had been crushed. They sent me a bill for about $2500 for the towing, storage, and crushing fees. The guy I sold it to was long gone, so I was kinda pissed off. The letter said that I could not renew my registration on my current car untill this bill was payed. IDK what this was all about, but I was so pissed off that I tossed the letter in the trash and refused to pay it. And well, it's been about 4 years now and no one has said boo to me about me renewing my registration. So IDK what that was all about.

All I know is that I do want to build another one up one day to look just like my old one.

Phoenyx said:
For me it was a Chevy Monza. I was about 15, and I had about $1500 to spend on my first car. I looked at a couple Monte's first. A nice looking early 70s one. But that was a bit to big for me. Then I looked at an early 80s one, was gonna buy that. The one day I was out cruising with my brother (down back alleys looking for cars lol) when we spotted a burgandy Monza He said they were cool little cars, and that we could stuff a V-8 into it. Well it happened to be in REALLY rough shape so I passed on it. But I wanted a Monza really bad now.

Then a couple weeks later I was skipping school, and walking home. When all of a sudden my brother pulls up beside me and said I had to come with him right away, so I hopped in We went to this house, and in the driveway was a silver Monza. We couldn't see to much because it was covered in snow. But the body looked pretty good on it. And we could see through the hatch window that they were just useing the car for storing a bunch of junk inside. So we go to the door and a lady answers. We ask if the car is for sale, and she says she doesn't know, it's her husband's car. But if we stopped by after he was home from work we could talk to him. So we stop by later that night, and the guy has swept all the snow off it, and already cleaned out all the junk on the interior (hmm, looks like someone wants to sell it really bad? lol). So we talk a bit and then tell him all I got is $500. He says deal (score!), so we fired it up (yes it started) and drove it home in the snow with no plates lol.

SO now about the car. It was a 1979 Monza Spyder. Silver with red interior. Factory 305/TH350 with a 2.29:1 7.5" rear. No A/C, No power windows or locks, had the full gauge package. The thin was rough looking, but not to bad. Like I said, the body was beautiful. The rallys were all rusted, the interior was shot, and the engine bay looked like it was a hundred years old lol.

We re-did the whole interior (parts from other cars and some dye), and I have to say, from the inside the car looked like it was brand new. Had the rallys blasted and repainted with new rubber (I also had to go and 'pick up' some new center caps and beauty rings). Re-did all the brakes. Replaced any suspension parts that were needed. New fluid in the rear. Shift kit for the transmission. And then we pulled the motor (still the original 305) and gave it a new cam (from an SS350 Chevelle), lifters, oil pump, water pump, pulled the heads and did a DIY valve job with valve grinding compound and a drill, added ford umbrella seals, put on an aluminum intake (just a stock GM 4 barrel one) and a rebuilt carb from a 350. Also all new gaskets, plugs, wires, and stuff like that. Dropped it back in and got a set of duels (dumped in front of the rear) with these little baby blue bottle glass packs. The body didn't need much. We just washed and waxed it and that was it. It did't look perfect. But from 20' away it looked mint.

So I drove the hell out of it for 2 years (what do you expect, I was 16 and it was mt first car lol. Then I parked it with plans of upgrading a bunch of stuff. Well at this point it sat for another year or two.

Then I finally started putting it back together. Put on a set of Doug Thorly side exiting headers (hacked it into my old exhaust, and yes it looked like crap), put on an old style Torker II intake, put some HUGE *ss cam in it, a holley 650 DP, and a lame velocity stack (hacked an ugly hole in the hood for that. Well as most of you will know, it ran like crap and made way less power than it did before. And after about 2 months I blew the engine. I spun a rod bearing, witch caused one of the pistons tp come up to high. It smacked the valves and broke the cam (into 4 pieces), knocked the head hard enough that it broke the seal on the head gasket, ant I actually broke a rod, and a piece of that shot out the side right through the oil pan When I took it apart what was left of the rod now had a 90 degree bend in it. So now I parked it again for another year.

Then a buddy of mine was interested in it. He had a 1980 GP that was fully loaded, and I mean FULLY loaded. He had been working on it for about 6 months. rebuilt carb, distributor, new water pump, and bunch of little stuff. All it needed was a cam (301) and some wiring under the hood fixed (this was his main reason for wanting to get rid of it, he hated electrical stuff. He wanted to trade me straight across, so I now owned my first g-body lol (and that's a whole other story).

So now a year later, the guy with my monza has replaced the blown 305 with a good 350, ditched the headers and got new duals (exits in front of the rear wheel, and still my old blue bottles lol), new transmission, tinted the windows, primed the whole car grey (except the black trim and the new hood, he painted all that flat black), a nice set of fat/skinny aluminum slots, and a nice stereo with a sub. A nice B&M rachet shifter. And he wants to sell it (was getting a divorce). So I buy the car back.

So again I have my monza back. So I got the exhaust redone to exit out the back (was getting a headache from his set up), had to replace a head, redo the starter wire, and that was about it. Oh, and I put a 6-AL into it. Drove it for another year. But at this point all the suspension was shot. And at that time there were no aftermarket parts available for it. And most of the original stuff was disscontinued from GM so I was screwed. Finally the transmission went on it, so I parked it again.

So then after another 2 years, I have a buddy who spent about $3000 rebuilding a 305 (yeah I don't know what he was on either lol) and wanted a small car to put it in. And I needed cash at the time so I sold it to him, and for cheap. Minus the 350, the 6-AL, the steering wheel, and my shifter. And that was the last I ever seen of it.

BUT......... sadly that's not the last I heard of the car. Now, when I sold it I didn't want to have to see someone else driving it. And he was planning on moving back home (other side of the country), so I had no worry of ever seeing it again. But 3 years later I get this letter in the mail. It says that my monza was found abandoned in a back alley. And that it had been towed and stored for 6 months. AND now it had been crushed. They sent me a bill for about $2500 for the towing, storage, and crushing fees. The guy I sold it to was long gone, so I was kinda pissed off. The letter said that I could not renew my registration on my current car untill this bill was payed. IDK what this was all about, but I was so pissed off that I tossed the letter in the trash and refused to pay it. And well, it's been about 4 years now and no one has said boo to me about me renewing my registration. So IDK what that was all about.

All I know is that I do want to build another one up one day to look just like my old one.

My first car ( bought by me not a hand-me-down) was a 1976 Monza Spyder. Rusty and White with the big black widow on the hood. Man I miss that car. Bought it for $ 400.00 and put a set of brakes and a set of tires on it and a week later drove it from Ontario to Alberta. I miss that car. I ended up moving back to Ontario and leaving the car for my nephew but it ended up being scrapped. Some day I will own another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor