Your opinions on the Bondo Buggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
So my Elco is a little "unique" in that it has the front clip and doors from a MCSS. Unfortunately, the lower body lines from the MCSS doors and the Elco rear quarters are not the same. To fix this, my grandfather (who built the car in the late 80s) cut and welded in the lower half of a second set of MC doors to the Elco quarters in front of the wheel openings. Flash forward to high school me wanting a flashy new paint job, so I took the car to a local body shop who did what they could, but it now seems like they weren't up to the task (see the pics). I recently took the car to a shop that does full restorations and they told me they'd rather not work on it (the shop is full of cars that need less work, so I understand, even if it hurts to hear that. 🤬)
Anyway, I thought I'd share some pics with you all and see what you think. I know there's no way to tell how bad it really is until it's stripped down, but if you assume the worst what would you do with this car? I obviously want to get the body issues fixed but I'm not sure how much work it would end up being. The frame is in pretty good shape, no rot or major issues. Here are the options I'm considering:

1. Fix the car (complete body off frame resto-mod, I've already put a modified 350 and built 2004R in it)
2. Find a clean Elco body and swap that onto the frame during a restoration.
3. Find a more desirable project and swap my engine into it.

The car was last painted 11 years ago.
Here's the body line I'm talking about:

IMG_5201.jpeg

And here are some of the problems:
IMG_5191.jpeg

IMG_5193.jpeg

IMG_5194.jpeg

IMG_5196.jpeg

IMG_5205.jpeg

This is actually a crack in the body filler:
IMG_5222.jpeg
IMG_5219.jpeg
IMG_5220.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would like to see some pictures of the whole car.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Pretty common for welded areas that are not properly finished before filler/paint.

Ideally, the metalwork would have been cleaned either by abrasion or blasting, primed with an epoxy primer, then filled, primed/painted. Backside of ANY welded are needs protection as well.

Hard to tell how bad without stripping it all off. Also, location plays a role, if that's in a dry climate, it's probably pretty bad underneath. If it's in the rust belt, and 11 years old, that's not terrible.

In this hobby, it's common to overdo things, given the actual usage of the vehicle. Only you can know...does it need to be "forever" good, or are you going to be "over it" in another 11 years? May have some bearing on how to proceed. I don't mean for this to advocate sloppy/substandard work, but too often, things snowball when an issue like this arises.

Personally, my OCD would require removal of all the filler, but that's just who I am.

Reactions: 6 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
since the bodywork was done close to 40 years ago can't complain about it and I think grandpa did a great job....I hpe he doesn't see his work called bondo buggy if he is still around...:popcorn:

Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
I don't mean for this to advocate sloppy/substandard work

I'll advocate for sloppy work :ROFLMAO: Slap that bish with some kitty hair and roll 'er down the road! Otherwise you'll end up like me 🤪

20200715_133305.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
Pictures of the whole car. First one is from March, the rest are from a couple years ago. The car was repainted in the Florida Keys and spent the rest of the last decade in Florida near the coast and was kept outside until I got a garage in 2014. It was also my DD until 2014. I'm in Maryland now. I guess I'm just concerned about the comment from the resto shop. This was my first car and it does have sentimental value with the connection to my grandfather, so I would like to keep it forever. I have zero experience with body work but I also don't have anyone I trust to do the job. I want it done right, but I'm not even sure if that's possible.
Other places it has rust are the driver side floor boards and smuggler's box, and the back corners of the bed. As it sits right now I have no problem continuing my plan for bolt on upgrades (brakes, suspension) while I save for body work and frame clean up. I drive it once or twice a week right now and want to go in a pro-touring direction.

I did find a couple pictures from the last paint job too.

IMG_4600.jpeg
IMG_3188.jpeg
IMG_3194.jpeg
IMG_1579.jpeg
IMG_1576.jpeg
IMG_1571.jpeg

I know there isn't much detail here but it's all I've got. It looks like there's a quarter inch of filler there. I'm also really missing the old color now too haha.
1598226744032.png
1598227232474.png

Reactions: 7 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
since the bodywork was done close to 40 years ago can't complain about it and I think grandpa did a great job....I hpe he doesn't see his work called bondo buggy if he is still around...:popcorn:
He's still around but he doesn't know who he is anymore. I didn't mean that as a slight to his workmanship. I believe if I hadn't had the car repainted it would still be like he just completed it. This was the third MCSS front end he'd put on an Elco so he had it figured out. My uncle has the first one he built and it's still in perfect condition. I blame myself for this mess honestly.

Reactions: 3 users

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
I think I just answered my own question actually. I might just have to modify my plans for body work a bit. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor