ZDDP Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Hello friends,

i have an 81 GP/ Pontiac 265 engine, i keep seeing about zddp being good for these old engines.

Is this something i should be using? I see Valvoline VR1, Lucas Hotrod, and other classic car oils with more zddp.

Reading these it mentions not to use in cars with a cat (mines has it)

I know i have a crappy engine , but want to keep it running as long as possible.

Right now i'm running 20w50 conventional (have a rear main seal leak)

Any one else has had experience with this? First car i own being carbureted.

thanks!

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I've been slowly comprehending what ZDDP is used for and it's typical use. I seriously doubt you have a need for it. My reading of multiple articles basically boils it down to you need ZDDP if you are racing, you have solid lifters (not hydraulic). My understanding is that the ZDDP acts as a sacrificial layer between metal contact, but is constantly being worn away, hence the need to use it on a continual basis if your vehicle usage application calls for it.

Reactions: 1 user

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
I've been slowly comprehending what ZDDP is used for and it's typical use. I seriously doubt you have a need for it. My reading of multiple articles basically boils it down to you need ZDDP if you are racing, you have solid lifters (not hydraulic). My understanding is that the ZDDP acts as a sacrificial layer between metal contact, but is constantly being worn away, hence the need to use it on a continual basis if your vehicle usage application calls for it.
thanks for sharing!

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
ZDDP..... hydraulic/solid flat tappet camshaft and engine break in additive, not really considered for continual use after break in procedure is done.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
as Ernest points out, it's primarily used as a break-in additive nowadays. essentially, a new engine with no runtime has no lubed surfaces to prevent wear so the ZDDP helps by its very chemistry. a broken-in engine doesn't really need it

Crankcase oils with reduced ZDDP have been cited as causing damage to, or failure of, classic/collector car flat-tappet camshafts and lifters which undergo very high boundary layer pressures and/or shear forces at their contact faces, and in other regions such as main bearings, and piston rings and pins. Roller camshafts/followers are more commonly used to reduce camshaft lobe friction in modern engines

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Personally in the 267 SB Chevy in my 79 and the 305 in my 88 SS I run Mobile 1 10W40 with a 1/4 bottle of Lucas Zinc Additive.
Years back I had seen 2 small block Chevy cams wiped out with Mobile 1 and a 289 Ford with synthetic blend.
After talking to a local sales rep that sold lubricants to the company I worked for he recommended a 1/2 bottle of GM Engine Oil Supplement (EOS) to any synthetic oil due to the ZDDP being greatly reduced in all but diesel oils. I found the Lucas to be a better product and the fact it could be found at any parts store sealed the deal.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor