Zip Tie Drags - Tucson, AZ Jan 19 & 20, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
My goal is to schlep my Grand Prix down there for this event. Barring any horrible snow storms in southern Utah, I'll be there.

Anybody else planning to attend?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Can't make it. Maybe next year. Got too much I want to do for driveability and reliability. Hell, by 2019 the SBB aluminum heads should be out, so I might be running the 2nd iteration my my Blue Motor by then. Under 500lbs all iron, with an AL top end I guarantee it'll shed at least 100lbs, stock iron intake is 67lbs, TA dual plane is 17. Plus I wanna find some t type wheels, get a good DS, slicks, get the 8.5 in there, an amount of exhaust, radio, speakers, new suspension parts, alignment, windshield, etc.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Plus I wanna find some t type wheels, get a good DS, slicks, get the 8.5 in there, an amount of exhaust, radio, speakers, new suspension parts, alignment, windshield, etc.

Geez--if you do all that, your car won't be considered Roadkill anymore. :rofl:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Geez--if you do all that, your car won't be considered Roadkill anymore. :rofl:
Plus I'd like to have a few grand of spendin money with me when I go. I can't just haul *ss to the other side of the country with $10 and a car with 3 dodgy tires with only 100 miles on a new motor and an as of this point unknown transmission. Plus, I'd actually like to be somewhat competitive. Hell, I might actually still be in the running for the $3000 hooptie challenge. Freibuger and Finnegan are the judges, and any g body they see is automatically only worth about $500 dollars.

Last edited:

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Well, I am registered and ready to go. If anyone else from this forum shows up, say hi to me. I'll be parked next to my friend Mike and his white '64 El Camino.

Reactions: 1 users

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Just as a heads up to anyone coming from out of State. The weather for my area and Tucson is possibly going to be rainy and cooler. Around 53 degrees for Saturday. Hope this info helps.

54F47E62-432A-455E-BD4F-E7BBD61CBE91.png

Update: 40 mph winds are also being forcast for Saturday. This means possible dust storms on I 10 heading East or in between Tucson and Phoenix on I 10 heading North. The forcasters are not sure who might get more rain then drizzle, so I will not be surprised if a blowing dust advisory might be coming the next few days. Saturday is looking to be a real miserable day and not car event, or for that matter, people friendly! Jeff

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Saturday is looking to be a real miserable day and not car event, or for that matter, people friendly!

I have been monitoring the Tucson page of the Weather Channel's web site twice per day, every day for nearly the last week. Friday is looking pretty good, with temps in the high 70s, single digit MPH winds, and no precipitation expected. Saturday keeps flip flopping: first they said slight chance of rain in the morning, then they said no precip at all, and now they're saying a stronger chance (50%) of precip in the afternoon. Current wind forecast is 13 MPH, which doesn't sound terrible.

No matter what, this will still be a great event as it gives us the chance to meet and chat with Freiburger, Finnegan, Dulcich, and others. And since I'll arrive when the gates open on Friday, I'll definitely get in some passes during that day's test 'n tune session. (Being the first time this car has seen a drag strip, I am very eager for this opportunity.) So even if Saturday afternoon's racing is completely rained out, it will still be a successful weekend for me.

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
That is the crazy thing about weather here. I can have the sun shinning on my house and across the valley it is raining and hailing. This happens when we get our Summer Monsoon.

The weather reports out here have been flip flopping. Friday should be good. We are sunny and will be close to 70 rest of the week. Saturday/Sunday at least temperature wise will be cold for us locals! lol Rain is hit or miss. If the event is at the Tucson Dragstrip/Fairgrounds, that is right off I 10 on the East side of Tucson. It is close to a bunch of mountains and very scenic.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Did you get some drag radials?

Better: I have a pair of 26x8.5 M&H Race Master slicks. I bought them for my turbo Dodge Caravan back when I was racing it, but then I stopped racing and never used these tires. They just so happen to be the exact size as my current 235/60-15 street tires, so I figured that meant I ought to put them to use. :)

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor