ZQ8 tire size recomm

Status
Not open for further replies.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
ZQ8 tire size recommendations?

Just bought a set of the older flat ZQ8's and am wondering about tire sizes. 245 and 255 are by far the most popular sizes, but would 265/50s be pushing it for clearance? I would also like to keep RWL's if possible...

On a side note - first time I've popped in over the last 2-3 weeks, nice to see the board taking off! 8)

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
265s will fit im almost certain. i know a guy that fit 295s in the rear, just lifted the rear a bit, on non stock wheels however, but as far as clearance goes i dont think ull have a problem. dont shoot me if im wrong tho. someone else please verify as well.

TPI Monte SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2006
North Jersey
I ran 245/50s at all 4 corners on my old '85 SS, on the same rims. They fit great. Probably could have done 255s, but I played it safe. They did rub on the inner fenders at full lock, but my car was lowered.

Also, I dunno if a 275 is safe to put on an 8" rim; I think the tire manufacturers will say they should go on a 9" wide rim. Enjoy, you will like 'em!

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the info.

BF Goodrich actually states 7.5-9.5" wheel for a 265/50 tire. They even list a 295/50 for an 8" wheel, but that is pushing it way too far for me (I'm surprised they have it listed that way.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/radial_ta.pdf

I really like the wide look on all four corners but I am planning on lowering as well, so I may stick with 245. There are currently 225's on them (bald), but they look a lot wider (than a 225 on a 15x7 would) being an 8" wheel and with the lower profile. So I would probably be happy with the 245's and minimal rubbing at full lock doesn't concern me.

TPI Monte SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2006
North Jersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor