LS-1 12" disc brake conversion for G-body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Regal T

Apprentice
Jan 18, 2011
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Many of you are probably aware of this conversion. I have completed this conversion recently on both my GN and my T-type. I got most of the parts from the junkyard, though I did purchase front hubs from http://www.flynbye.com. I'd recommend this upgrade to anyone with a G-body car. Certainly one of the best brake upgrades that can be done, and with the use of some new parts and used parts, pretty reasonable. :wink:

Attachments

• installed LS1.jpg
    installed LS1.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 7,636
  • Picture 227.jpg
    Picture 227.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 8,935
  • Picture 268.jpg
    Picture 268.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 8,831
Reactions: 1 user

Red Regal T

Apprentice
Jan 18, 2011
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

Attachments

• reardiscGN.jpg
    reardiscGN.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 6,492

japc74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2009
I would love to do this conversion on my 85 el camino. I often see that people get these parts from junkyards. In st. Louis I rarely see cars like this in junk yards. I have a few questions. Do you have a round about figure of how much everything cost? Also which specific cars can I find these parts.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
japc74 said:
I would love to do this conversion on my 85 el camino. I often see that people get these parts from junkyards. In st. Louis I rarely see cars like this in junk yards. I have a few questions. Do you have a round about figure of how much everything cost? Also which specific cars can I find these parts.

You can buy everything brand new from GM. Granted it costs more than finding junkyard pieces but still isn't too bad. I bought a set of used rear calipers for mine and then ordered a rebuild kit from GM. Basically new seals and pistons. Everything else I ordered was new.

Red Regal T

Apprentice
Jan 18, 2011
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
japc74 said:

This setup is on all 98 thru 02 Camaros. Not just the LS1s, but all Camaros and I guess firebirds of those years. They'll be hitting the yards in force very soon. Either you can get your front hubs machined, or buy them from flynbye for $140 shipped. You'll also need the brackets to bolt the calipers to your spindle. These cost about $80 a set. The rest can all be junkyard parts. Ballpark would be calipers X 4 @ 25 each. $0 on the proportioning valve, and use your existing master cylinder. Rotors are about $10 each, but even new ones are only about $80 a pair. Rear backing plate including emergency brake setup and caliper bracket, I guess $25 a side. Brake pads are about $50 all around for the most inexpensive grade, which I used on my ttype, and they work as good as the hi-dollar Hawks I installed on my GN. I'm on the hunt for another complete setup for installation on my 86 el camino, myself. ;)

http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i5.html

Reactions: 1 users

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Outstanding thanks for the post.

japc74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2009
I will comb all the yards in a few weeks once this crap snow stops. Off hand is it anything in particular that is really difficult or that i need to watch out for?

Red Regal T

Apprentice
Jan 18, 2011
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
japc74 said:
I will comb all the yards in a few weeks once this crap snow stops. Off hand is it anything in particular that is really difficult or that i need to watch out for?

No difficulties. FYI you don't need the front Camaro brake lines because you'll use your existing G-body brake hoses, but keep the Camaro banjo bolts, they're different, and for that matter keep every other bolt you remove you think you may need. On the rear, removal of the axles is necessary to remove the backing plate/emergency brake assy. I've pulled two, and hit a couple diffent pin styles to remove the c-clips. On the rear, you want to keep, and use the Camaro hoses.

Attachments

• Picture 270.jpg
    Picture 270.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 6,494
  • LS1%20rears%20006.jpg
    LS1%20rears%20006.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 6,626

japc74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2009
Can you pm when you start the conversion on your el camino. I hit the yard and i got front and rear calipers, rotors, and caliper brackets and hoses. What else besides the prop. valve do i need? Also if i buy those hubs from flybne will my front set up be complete with the aprts i have listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor