Reasonable speaker replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Keep in mind I dont own any CD's, mp3 stuff. I listen to basically whats on the radio.

When I swapped my interior I took the best looking factory GM speakers I had laying around in. The drivers side dash one works and the passenger side rattled horribly so I cut it. hooked up the left/right ballancer in the trunk wrong too so I dont know if the rears are both good but only one speaker works. Im not an audio person, I just want something I can turn on for background noise.

Right now I have a stock 85 or whatever GM radio in my cutlass. I also have a factory equalizer radio but the clock display went out so as much as I like the little sliders I dont use them anyways and I liked the clock/station display better so thats why I have my non cassette base model radio.

What have people done basically just to replace the stock speakers and get it working? I looked on crutchfield and $100 for replacement 4x10's seems rediculous. Is that actually what low level stuff costs? Spend $200 to just get stuff working again. I dont mind spending money but it seems pointless with a 28 year old head unit.

Anybody done a conservative speaker replacement?

Many of the 90s Suburbans, Tahoes, etc,,, have 4x10s factory mounted in them. Junkyard around here will let you pull them for around 10 bucks a pair. I don't think you can get any cheaper than that. And you could get lucky and find some upgraded speakers in there.

You can use an adapter to put a 6 x9 in the back or just modify the deck area to bolt it in directly, a 6 x 9 will sound much better and are readily available new and used.
You can replace the 3.5" dash speakers with a relative inexpensive replacement speaker also. Walmart has some for $15.

TRY EBAY... you can even find new GM replacements for about $25 shipped... or you can find others for $10-50... i got a decent pair of JBL 4x10's for $20... they surprisingly sound pretty darn good for $20... EBAY WILL BE YOUR BEST FRIEND...

Aftermarket 4x10's are expensive because it's an oddball size. I'd upgrade to a pair of 6x9's and call it a day.
For inexpensive speakers you can try www.parts-express.com

That 4x10 being wierd explains it. I did see on amazon theres a pair for $30 which isnt bad at all. Should be able to get all new ones for $45 and free shipping so im not going to complain there.

Do I need to worry about impedence, resistance or anything like that?

I better stop with speakers on my olds. The speakers on all my cars are blown, probably spend $400 replacing everything. :roll:

gm replacements on EBAY

Attachments

• 2014-05-01-14-55-59.jpg
    2014-05-01-14-55-59.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 563
You can prob get both the 3.5 inch & 4x10 at walmart for a bargain price if you just want low level stuff. They actually have some decent stuff; like pioneer, jbl, & lightning audio (made by Rockford fosgate) I bought mine on eBay, but I wanted really good speakers because I have an amp running them.

Also, most of your aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm & that's really what you want. Home entertainment & indoor speakers are generally 8 ohm. Now a lot of the stock gm speakers had crazy high ohms, you don't really want that. The lower ohm speakers make your radio able to give off more power. So, basically if you run 8 ohm speakers, your radio will half about half the output compared to 4. Don't worry about how many watts it says the speaker will handle with a stock radio, many times they're way overrated anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor