Replacing Valve Stem Seals on a Chevy 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Hey guys need a little help on how to replace the valve stem seals. My car has just about 198000 kms on it so im not suprised that they have to be replaced. Plus the car has had 3 different owners (me being the 4th) and not sure how hard the engine has been pushed. Anyways im starting to get sick of when i first start my car up it smokes like Uncle Buck's car did :lol: Even when im stopped in traffic all i smell it my car :p. How can i go about doing this? I dont want to take the heads off and ive seen that people can use compressed air and a different tool. Thing is i have no clue where to even get one of these tools? Anyone have any idea, also on some good ways to perform this repair? Thanks!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I removed the plugs and used a vacuum line which I feed into the spark plug port and then turned the crank till it jambed...and I used this tool and removed the keepers with a small magnet..

lens18065250_1308555948valve-spring-compressor.j

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
The old-timers used a piece of rope. Shove a foot or so in the spark plug hole, then rotate the engine by hand until it's locked against the valves. Once the seals are done and springs and keepers are back in place, move the piston down a bit and pull your rope back out. If you do your seals following the firing order, you won't have a lot of crankshaft rotating to do. My late father, a pro mechanic from the 50's and 60's, did it like this all the time. He didn't trust compressed air as much as his old piece of rope.

Bill

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Might consider adding an umbrella type seal.

I have done it many times with compressed air. Start on the a/c box side, get the harder to get to ones out of the way first.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Bar50 said:
Might consider adding an umbrella type seal.

I have done it many times with compressed air. Start on the a/c box side, get the harder to get to ones out of the way first.

I was thinking of getting those ones for sure! Yea i know the AC side is gonna be a B*****! Espicially with these headers the basically cover the last spark plug. Last time when i did the tune up i had to take the whole friggin header off just to get to the last plug. Anyone have an idea on a better way to get to the plug? Also with the rope idea ive read that people do that too but wouldnt it just be easier and less hassle with compressed air?

nailbender

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2012
Joplin, MO
Get your self one of these wrenches. This ones mac, but I'm sure other companies make them.

Attachments

• IMG_20120520_170823.jpg
    IMG_20120520_170823.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 2,703
  • IMG_20120520_170948.jpg
    IMG_20120520_170948.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 2,730

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
nailbender said:
Get your self one of these wrenches. This ones mac, but I'm sure other companies make them.

wow that actually looks perfect haha! How much was this?

nailbender

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2012
Joplin, MO
I can't recall how much it was, but being Mac I'm sure it was 30-40 bucks. Nothing like paying for the name. I wll see if I can get some info.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
nailbender said:
I can't recall how much it was, but being Mac I'm sure it was 30-40 bucks. Nothing like paying for the name. I wll see if I can get some info.

Ok because i was just looking on macs website and at Canadian tire and couldnt find anything like this :(

Blueboy84

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Any 5/8 offset wrench will do the trick. I got mine at autozone. I've got TES headers on mine so it's especially a PITA to get to the plugs on the passenger side.

Also, I use this as it helps get to a few of them...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-8-CUSTOM-SHOR ... c8&vxp=mtr

This drilled out socket fits over the plug and allows you to use a 3/4 wrench to get to it. Comes in very handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor