HAS ANYBODY COVERTED THEIR V-BELT TO 1 BELT SERPENTINE???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
I HAVE A 86 SS I CONVERTED IT TO A 1 BELT SERPENTINE THAT I GOT OFF A 91 CAMARO I NEED A LITTLE HELP WIRING THE A/C COMPRESSOR IF ANYBODY COULD HELP ME OUT ID APRECIATE IT...THANKS RO

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Please don't use all caps. It is quite annoying to read. Second, learn to use proper punctuation. Forum posting is not text messaging. Proper grammar, spelling and sentence structure is expected.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
There is a thread further down in the engine/swap forum entitled V belt to serpentine conversion, which may help you out. I'm in the process of a similiar conversion right now, but I haven't gotten to the actual wiring for the compressor just yet. I got my parts from an '88 Firebird, so it should be quite similiar to the Camaro setup that you're using. I compared the original A/C compressor from my '84 SS to the Firebird compressor, and the only difference that I can see with the wiring, is that the Firebird compressor has an extra round pressure switch on the back of the compressor that the MC compressor doesn't have. Both compressors have the same 2 pin clutch engagement connector just behind the compressor clutch. I'm thinking that I don't need to use the pressure switch on the back of the Firebird compressor, since there is no connector in the MC harness for this switch. I just going to go with the wiring to the compressor clutch for the time being, and see how it works out, and I'll seal off the pressure switch connector for now. Since the serpentine system positions the compressor on the opposite side of the engine compartment from the original MC compressor, I'm thinking that the compressor clutch wiring may need to be extended to reach the compressor in the new position, but I won't know that until I get to that point in my conversion (sometime this week, I hope). I hope this helps. Good luck.

str8muzick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2009
deltona florida
v belt to serpentine conversion help

i have a 83 pontiac gp with sbc 400 1972 block ...i purchased serp belt system from local salvage yard out of a 93 chevy van with v8 305. i am having problems with p/s bracket pulley to big it wont clear the gear box touches it.also on alt bracket i only have 1 threaded hole in cyl head on passenger side to mount bracket..the bracket requires 3 threaded holes..does any body have any suggestions or answers to help...or did i buy the wrong pulley system

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
THANKS FOR THE HELP....

AS FOR str8muzick YOU MIGHT HAVE BOUGHT THE WRONG PULLEY SYSTEM I REMEMBER WHEN I BOUGHT MINE EVERYTHING BOLTED RIGHT UP AND THE P/S PULLEY CLEARED THE GEAR BOX IT WAS A LTITLE CLOSE BUT NOT RUBING.YOU SAID ALSO YOUR HEADS HAS ONLY 1 HOLE FOR A BOLT TO GO THROUGH THEY MIGHT BE THE WRONG TYPE OF HEAD BUT THATS JUST MY GUESS....THANKS BRO

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
I have a 76 350 block and used my 89 Jimmy 4.3 brackets and pully's. Works great and all the bolt holes needed were there. The only thing I have an issue is with the height of the pully system and the upper radiator hose. My set up is for a V-6 and is tight and high, no clearence issues just for the hose. I have a radiator out of a 73 A body and it is to wide, but it was my old one and free. I got a thermostat housing for a 91 GMC/Chevy 1500 with a 350 and used that. I reversed my upper hose to meet the proper hose outlets. Works fine and runs about 180 190 in 90 degree weather with the A/C on. If you change the system to a serpentine get the fan and fan clutch. I didnt and didnt pay attention because it is reverse water flow system. The water pump is neede also because of this.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Werd... you can use one from a 4.3-powered S/T-truck (Blazer/Jimmy/pickup). It bolts on without issue, and clears the steering gear box. I had the same issue RO86SS had. You also need to wire a switched 12v (with a ~10-15 ohm resistor) to the exciter wire for the newer alternator.

DSC00451.jpg

Here is what he was talking about the pulley hitting. I found that the heavy steel "horseshoe" wasn't the best route to use, but it was free since I had it on a parts truck. I made it work, but didn't need to worry about it with the S-Truck setup, because there's plenty of clearance.

DSC07087-1.jpg

DSC07088-1.jpg

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Re: THANKS FOR THE HELP....

RO86SS said:
AS FOR str8muzick YOU MIGHT HAVE BOUGHT THE WRONG PULLEY SYSTEM I REMEMBER WHEN I BOUGHT MINE EVERYTHING BOLTED RIGHT UP AND THE P/S PULLEY CLEARED THE GEAR BOX IT WAS A LTITLE CLOSE BUT NOT RUBING.YOU SAID ALSO YOUR HEADS HAS ONLY 1 HOLE FOR A BOLT TO GO THROUGH THEY MIGHT BE THE WRONG TYPE OF HEAD BUT THATS JUST A SUGESTION....THANKS BRO AND FOR MR. 85 CUTLASS BROUGHAM **** YOU!!!

There are two types of steering boxes, one has a cover held in by a snap ring, the other is held in by 4 bolts.

As far as the caps/lack of punctuation/grammar and cussin', that's not a good way to get any help. Some people see this type of typing and pass right over it because it's a royal pain to read, and they don't want to help someone who can't use a period or comma.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
RO86SS, I'm forced to agree with 85 Cutlass Brougham & DOOBER on this one. A bit of politeness and some proper grammar & punctuation will go a long way towards getting you some help here.
I've read in several other threads that the serpentine system from the light duty trucks can have some problems regarding power steering pump pulley clearance to the steering box cover. I've test fitted the F body power steering pump on my Monte, and while the clearance is tight, it should work out OK. Regarding the alternator connections, there is a thread on the MonteCarloSS website, which deals with the swap to the newer style alternator. There is a CS to SI alternator adapter harness available. There are 2 types available, one for a car with factory gauges, and one without. The GM part number for the adapter harness for a car with gauges is 12102921. There is an AC Delco number as well for the same harness-it is 8078.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
I didn't use the adapter harness with mine. If you're in a pinch (or don't want to get the kit) you could go the route I mentioned before, or you could use the original brown wire for the SI alternator, just make sure there is good contact through the circuit for the bulb, and the bulb is good.

Said adapter
3023d1226010772-ford-large-case-g3-alternator-setup-fans-si_12-cs144-pigtail.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor