Another Prototype Gasket in the (it's already here) Edition- Can't Believe They Haven't Repro'd This One

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Was the Grip Range on the original rivet 3/16?
Depends on what you read. I believe it's pretty close. It looks like it'll be around 1/8" between the trunk panel and the retainer together. Just guesstimating. Guess I'll be finding out in a short while. I'll let you know. Even if it's a tad longer, it just means you have to pull the pin a bit deeper. Can't see the backside anyway so it likely won't be much of an issue. For the price the juice is worth the squeeze.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The rivets came today. Perfect fit. 3/8" head. Couple of sqeezes on the rivet gun and clamped the retainer to the trunklid without issues.

IMG_0173.jpg

There's your dinner!

1715975053924.png

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I forgot I didn't even send up a pic of the correct foam versions.

There's a slight difference between the originals and the repros. The originals had a tiny punched hole at the end of the foam slit to go over the retainer. What this hole did was to minimize the chance of tearing open further upon installation. If you're not ham-handed with the gasket, it'll go right on the retainer and fit up nicely without tearing. It works well.

The foam is the correct thickness, size, and firmness of the original. IMO a perfect replacement.

IMG_1325.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
Thanks for the info.

Is taking the retainer off the lock and placing it back on fairly easy? Anything a goober like me needs to be aware of? Do I need someone to help hold things in place while securing the rivet?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I used a plastic trim tool to wriggle the retainer down off the trunk lock after drilling the rivet.

Then I changed out the gasket and slid the retainer back in. I just kept one finger pushing on the trunk lock to hold it in place.

Then I used a small plastic deadblow hammer to tap the retainer up into place, put the rivet in, and used the riveter to pull it home. Easy peasy. I was done in 2 minutes.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor