Can anyone tell me what this is

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Axle tubes shortened, trailing arm mounts added or relocated, and leaf spring perches removed. There may be more to it but these are the basic mods that might be visible on an 8.5 out of a pickup or fullsize car, that was converted to fit in a Gbody.
Before I bought my 8.5 core (looked like scrap) I took a tape measure to the 7.5 to get flange to flange, bracket to bracket, perch to perch, etc. The 8.5 fits the same linkage, so all the "reference dimensions" will be the same as the 7.5.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Before I bought my 8.5 core (looked like scrap) I took a tape measure to the 7.5 to get flange to flange, bracket to bracket, perch to perch, etc. The 8.5 fits the same linkage, so all the "reference dimensions" will be the same as the 7.5.
There should be one other detail that seems like it get over looked is the way the wheel cylinders mount since the G one uses the god awful retaining rings like the 7.5" rears.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
There should be one other detail that seems like it get over looked is the way the wheel cylinders mount since the G one uses the god awful retaining rings like the 7.5" rears.
Fun fact: if you in swap disc brakes from an S10 or Fbody, the two threaded holes in the flanged ends that hold on the Gbody backing plate exactly match the traditional GM trapezoid bolt pattern. Just cut off the excess so that the disk backing plate fits, punch and drill the missing two holes, then open up the two factory holes to the right diameter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor