Remote electric water pump plumbed from heater to upper radiator?

Podagrower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
We have an 83 Caballero that somebody shoved a 454 into. It's an absolute hoot to drive and although it needs work, I've got it to a point that driving it no longer requires making sure the cell phone works and alternate travel plans. It's a big block, it runs warm. After de bodging all the previous "repairs", we have a Cold Case 2 core radiator, Flex a Lite electric fans and shroud, and an auxiliary transmission cooler. It gets up to 200 (which is the set point for the first fan) and then drops back to 195 (which is the thermostat temp) and will stay in that range. Future plans include adding an oil cooler and AC. I think the running and driving temps are fine, and I think the cooling system will cope with the added load of an AC system. But when you shut it off, there's a lot of heat still radiating off the front end. Last weekend, at a car show, I noticed you could see the distortion in the air from the car with the hood up, but there wasn't that same distortion from the guy parked next to us who pulled in 30 minutes after we did (and now my mind says, how much aluminum is in the modern 426 hemi he was driving?).

In my infinite ability to overthink things, I've already got a time delay relay to keep the electric fans running for a couple of minutes after the car shuts off, but would I be asking for trouble or would it be worthwhile to install a small remote electric water pump tee'd off a heater hose and then tee'd back into a radiator hose to continue coolant circulation for a few minutes after shutting down? I could accomplish the same by installing an electric water pump, yes, but seeing that mechanical pumps out flow them at high RPM leads to concern. And I would have to change the belt layout to get an electric water pump in place of the mechanical.

And why do I feel like I need to do this when I have never felt bad about just shutting off every other vehicle I've ever driven and just walking away without a care in the world?

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Honestly, I would knock the thermostat back to a 180. But otherwise I don't see the need for any electric water pump. It will cool down on its own with the hood up. Let the fans run and they will cool the radiator and the front of the engine. An electric water pump will only pump water until the thermostat closes at 195 and then only really push it through the bypass. And at that point its water pump through the engine to the water pump. You could try putting 3 1/8" holes in the thermostat and letting some flow back to the radiator to help aid in flow. But since you would have to pull the thermostat to do that, I would go back to a high flow 180 like a stewart or robertshaw.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
yes you're overthinking it.we're all guilty of it.running a delay on the fans or an aux pump to circulate when at rest feels like a waste when in fact you don't have an overheating issue when driving or otherwise.what's the point in trying to cool a stangnat engine outside of a race enviroment/in between rounds etc? if watching a temp gauge rise while driving is another issue(again it sounds like you don't have an actual air flow or an overheating issue which is great btw) and i get that but with the car at rest there's no air coming across the radiator you're cirulating hot coolant for hot/warmer coolant. comparing your rides behavior to something roughly 40 years newer is the furtherest thing from an apples to apples comparison.
but in the name of overthinking/ocd'ing things do what feels rite.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
So what is the problem? It seems that it runs at the correct temp doesn't overflow. What the guy next to you looks like has no bearing on your car. Leave it alone, by adding stuff you're creating a mess of cut hoses, clamps and more wiring! My 2 cents.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor