BUILD THREAD 84 El Camino build thread

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I don't know how I keep missing your updates, I've been "watching" this thread.

Looks like you guys have been keeping busy by adding all of the available bracing, and I've read lots of good things about the improvements it provides. Things oughta be pretty solid by now and surely it can maneuver pretty well. I'm also a fan of the Drag Lites because of the classic look that comes with them, but boy does polishing old ones kill the fingers! A good learning experience for Jr. though, right? The tweets look nice too and I really like the mp3 speaker in the radio hole, I'm currently doing something similar.

One small note about the chin spoiler though: it's not just for looks. It creates a low pressure area behind the core support which improves airflow through the radiator fins. The hotter your engine runs, the more important it is. I was going to remove the one on my Elk until I found out.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see what paint choices you come up with!

Reactions: 1 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
I don't know how I keep missing your updates, I've been "watching" this thread.

Looks like you guys have been keeping busy by adding all of the available bracing, and I've read lots of good things about the improvements it provides. Things oughta be pretty solid by now and surely it can maneuver pretty well. I'm also a fan of the Drag Lites because of the classic look that comes with them, but boy does polishing old ones kill the fingers! A good learning experience for Jr. though, right? The tweets look nice too and I really like the mp3 speaker in the radio hole, I'm currently doing something similar.

One small note about the chin spoiler though: it's not just for looks. It creates a low pressure area behind the core support which improves airflow through the radiator fins. The hotter your engine runs, the more important it is. I was going to remove the one on my Elk until I found out.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see what paint choices you come up with!
Thanks bro. The polishing was a good learning experience for sure. Jr has something to be proud of and I'm proud of him. He put in a good 7 hours or so. Bluetooth speaker is not for much longer but conveniently works there. I was aware of the cooling purpose of the spoiler, and after a few solid hour(ish) drives ripping on it in the mid 80 degree weather, there are no signs of difference in temp. The gauge hits about 195-200 sitting for a while then back down 160-180 cruising. It's almost too cool. I just changed the plugs after a long day of hard driving about 120 miles and they were super clean but too lean. I decided to throw some cr43ts delcos in, in place of the ngk tr55, as well as swap primary jets from .098 to .101... long story short I think the plug reach is too short or not hot enough. I gapped them at .050, and the ngks were at .060 with almost twice the reach.

I have to do some more tinkering, because after the plug change there is an intermittent stumble, almost like a misfire at low rpm and I had to advance timing and idle because it didn't want to idle smoothly and was pulling through the converter seemingly. Jetted up, carbed cleaned and timing advanced it runs great(better than ever) but still has a stumble with barely any throttle in gear cruising. Feels like an issue with the idle to open throttle circuit transfer but didn't start till the unnecessary plug change... in hindsight I changed the plugs thinking it was time when reality was the distributor backed itself retarded a bit after days of romping on it. Too far advanced for my liking now with these new plugs to be happy with the huge cam and stock stall converter combo.

Lots of experimenting and tinkering ahead and possible trip to my transmission guy to get his input on the a converter swap. I might be tripping about the plugs and the engine is actually making enough more power to have the converter trying to engage sooner? Idk but it will get figured out.

She cranks up and drives and has been quite fun and reliable, through all the mods and runnin a muck, and has even been improvising as a daiky driver since I blew up my work truck and have been doing repairs on my daily Silverado with 340k on the clock.

Last edited:

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Thanks bro. The polishing was a good learning experience for sure. Jr has something to be proud of and I'm proud of him. He put in a good 7 hours or so. Bluetooth speaker is not for much longer but conveniently works there. I was aware of the cooling purpose of the spoiler, and after a few solid hour(ish) drives ripping on it in the mid 80 degree weather, there are no signs of difference in temp. The gauge hits about 195-200 sitting for a while then back down 160-180 cruising. It's almost too cool. I just changed the plugs after a long day of hard driving about 120 miles and they were super clean but too lean. I decided to throw some cr43ts delcos in, in place of the ngk tr55, as well as swap primary jets from .098 to .101... long story short I think the plug reach is too short or not hot enough. I gapped them at .050, and the ngks were at .060 with almost twice the reach.

I have to do some more tinkering, because after the plug change there is an intermittent stumble, almost like a misfire at low rpm and I had to advance timing and idle because it didn't want to idle smoothly and was pulling through the converter seemingly. Jetted up, carbed cleaned and timing advanced it runs great(better than ever) but still has a stumble with barely any throttle in gear cruising. Feels like an issue with the idle to open throttle circuit transfer but didn't start till the unnecessary plug change... in hindsight I changed the plugs thinking it was time when reality was the distributor backed itself retarded a bit after days of romping on it. Too far advanced for my liking now with these new plugs to be happy with the huge cam and stock stall converter combo.

Lots of experimenting and tinkering ahead and possible trip to my transmission guy to get his input on the a converter swap. I might be tripping about the plugs and the engine is actually making enough more power to have the converter trying to engage sooner? Idk but it will get figured out.

She cranks up and drives and has been quite fun and reliable, through all the mods and runnin a muck, and has even been improvising as a daiky driver since I blew up my work truck and have been doing repairs on my daily Silverado with 340k on the clock.
Well it sounds like you've got a handle on things and are systematically working the bugs out. I figured the cars in Florida would need all the cooling help they could get but I guess not, at least for now. The timing, plugs, and carb settings will likely keep you busy as you make tiny changes one at a time but it's worth it in the end. I forget what your cam specs are but it's absolutely possible that you need a higher stall if it's pulling through the brakes, it didn't take much cam in my old truck to need a TC upgrade. I agree that the stumble at 'part throttle cruise' is likely in the transition from idle to primary circuits. Usually a lean stumble, it often responds well to fatter jetting like you put in or smaller air bleeds. How much of the idle transfer slot is showing above the throttle blades? If it's shaped like a rectangle it's too much. I've seen people modify the throttle blades by drilling holes to compensate but don't recommend it. Going to an extended tip spark plug might help, as would bumping to 45 heat range.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Well it sounds like you've got a handle on things and are systematically working the bugs out. I figured the cars in Florida would need all the cooling help they could get but I guess not, at least for now. The timing, plugs, and carb settings will likely keep you busy as you make tiny changes one at a time but it's worth it in the end. I forget what your cam specs are but it's absolutely possible that you need a higher stall if it's pulling through the brakes, it didn't take much cam in my old truck to need a TC upgrade. I agree that the stumble at 'part throttle cruise' is likely in the transition from idle to primary circuits. Usually a lean stumble, it often responds well to fatter jetting like you put in or smaller air bleeds. How much of the idle transfer slot is showing above the throttle blades? If it's shaped like a rectangle it's too much. I've seen people modify the throttle blades by drilling holes to compensate but don't recommend it. Going to an extended tip spark plug might help, as would bumping to 45 heat range.
No thermostat gang over here! It has always worked for me. The dual 12" cooling fans and new radiator dont hurt. The transition slots are barely showing, even with the idle set screw in more than before. I'm gonna mess with the plugs and get some converter advice. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
No thermostat gang over here! It has always worked for me. The dual 12" cooling fans and new radiator dont hurt. The transition slots are barely showing, even with the idle set screw in more than before. I'm gonna mess with the plugs and get some converter advice. Thanks for the input!
You didn't need my input..... you're 2 steps ahead of me.

Please let us know what your converter guy recommends.

Reactions: 1 user

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
New plugs... Accel header plugs like I used to run in my radical small block, and the lil ole 305 has come to life! Smoother idle not pulling through braks, revs quicker, sounds better, shifts better. I pulled the a/f screws and blasted carb cleaner in there which I don't think I ever did before with all the carb tinkering, backed the timing down, gapped new plugs .040 and it's a world of a difference! No more stumble, and the part throttle cruising misfire feeling is gone. The converter feels better also like it's not coming in too soon anymore. The old man at the parts store thinks the r43ts plugs were just too cold.

Leaving drivetrain alone for now and going to try and focus on some interior work.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor