Argh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2005
BC, Canada
Went to the good ol' pick'n'pull today. Walked through the entire GM section, every row. There was only one Cutlass, and somebody had already borrowed the front end!

That was the last junkyard, looks like I'm hooped.

Feb 15, 2006
South Dakota
What year front were you looking for??

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
Not to get off-topic, but it's nice to see someone else who admits to having the 231 "of fury." My Fury usually comes from some Hondas taillights ahead of me and the driver of said Honda thinking he's beaten an American "muscle" car. Sorry, back to the topic.... :D

Arok

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2006
Gainesville, Florida
grandbonnevillecreature said:
Not to get off-topic, but it's nice to see someone else who admits to having the 231 "of fury." My Fury usually comes from some Hondas taillights ahead of me and the driver of said Honda thinking he's beaten an American "muscle" car. Sorry, back to the topic.... :D

That's why I'm replacing my sh*te 231 with something that will spank a honda. My 83 cutlass has a TH-350C (C is for clutch/lockup) with a multiple bolt pattern, so just about anything will bolt up to it. Since the torque converter was for a V6 it has a higher stall speed than the V8 version would have had. This to me means I won't change anything but the motor initially.

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
If I had the money I would probably do the same, but I dropped all my cash just to get my Pontiac. I can make a few inexpensive bolt-on upgrades, but theres no way I could afford a whole 'nother engine right now. Especially when mine works fine. And I have not the mechanical tools or skills to swap one myself, so it would cost me a fortune. My goal is to put as many bolt-on upgrades as I can on this Bonneville, and just have a really good running, slightly more powerful, naturally aspirated 231. Now, I have been considering the possibility of picking up a second G-body, one with a monster engine. But my wife may kill me. So for now, please accept me and my humble V6 into the fold. And hey, if you wanna buy me a built 350 with a supercharger and install it, or a Grand National engine, please be my guest!!! 8)

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
You don't need a whole lot of money to build a smallblock. Toss a few hundred bucks at it every once in a while, instead of buying a intake for the 231, get one for a smallblock. build the motor slowly instead of adding to the 231. I'll put money on it that you'd enjoy the end product a whole bunch more. As for putting it in, grab a few cases of beer and a couple of buddies. Hell if you are around the Toronto area, I'll help ya myself.

Of course, this is only a suggestion. My 2 cents

Ryan

Arok

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2006
Gainesville, Florida
I bought the car for a project, it was $200 and I don't plan on driving it anytime soon. I wish I had the same luxury when I had my 71 duster.

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
Well, the engine in the Bonneville won't last forever, so having a spare handy wouldn't be a bad idea. I could find a small block and put it in my brother's garage, and build it up until it's time to drop it in the Bonneville. A question though - when you drop in a non-original engine, are you still able to have power steering, a/c and all that? I don't care that much about the PS, but this ain't Canada, and it gets HOT and HUMID here. I wish I lived up north and just didn't need it that much. You know, it's been frustrating to buy a car, thinking to my self "Oh, this car is an old school American car. It'll be powerful and there will be ALOT of aftermarket stuff for it to give it MORE power." Then I find out on this site, no, the car has NO power and you can put all the aftermarket crap on it you want and it never will have power. Maybe what I should do is turn this G-Body over to my wife and buy myself one thats already got a better engine in it, and start working on powering it up. I am going to have to get another car soon. Hmmm............

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
You're getting good advice; any money spent on performance for that 231cid is wasted. If you keep it just make sure it is well tuned up and save your performance dollars for a V8 swap.

Arok

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2006
Gainesville, Florida
You should be able to keep all your accessories without too much hassle. I read about an LT1 sawpped into a G-body and they kept all theirs. I would think that if you used a smallblock it would be very easy to keep everything you wanted. I don't speak from experience though, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor