Cowl Trim Tag Decode Request

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Hey guys, I've come to ask for help decoding the stamped trim tag on the cowl of my '78 El Camino. I've done some research and have half of the numbers figured out, but can't quite nail down the others. IMG_20230921_022420051.jpg

First Row: So obviously 78 is the year and 1AW80 is El Camino, I believe D is the Doraville Plant, and 211549 is the number in the production line. Pretty straightforward.

Second Row: I've discovered that 74V is a Dark Carmine Red Interior Trim, A52 means Bench Seat, 77L and 77U denote Carmine Red Poly paint for both the lower and upper body panels. This makes sense as it had red carpet and the body was a two-tone red/silver job when I bought it. The dash had already been replaced with the newer SS style and the trim had been "dyed" 1591 Claret (Maroon/Oxblood) to match.

I'm unsure about the rest, but would I be correct in guessing that the second 77L would be Carmine Red rally wheels (Lower accent) and the 15U would be the Silver Poly stripe down the side (Upper accent)?

Does 07B mean a build date of Feb 07th?

Even if all that is true I'm still left with "0735" and "D91" and don't know what they mean. Can any of you fine folks shed a little light on a subject that's been beaten to death already?

This is purely for fun and the spread of knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
07B should be second week July build

D91 is 2 tone paint

Is the sequential VIN a high number?

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
First, I'm not that fluent with Chevy tags.

The 211549 is the fisher body sequence number. It’s how they track the car at Fisher internally and that number should be able to be found on an actual build sheet somewhere. Used to be on the build cards on older models considered the "body number". Once the VIN is assigned everything tracks via the VIN which tracks back to the body sequence number. Doesn't really mean squat except to Fisher, although it should generally trend be a lower number on a lower VIN car.

0735 is unknown to me. You can find a similar 4 number code on many 78-era Chevy trim tags in that location, although I don't have any difinitive information on it. Some plants used different layouts for the numbers as well. I seem to recall somewhere I read it may be some sort of an accessory code, but I'm not sure.

And why Elky's did that silly double paint U and L codes on some of the tags, I just don't get. I've never followed that logic. It very well could be accent stripes or trim paint, and sometimes they used it for MID colors, although they had the option to use an M for a middle color. Never try to outguess GM.

Reactions: 4 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Excellent information, thank you very much!

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i "think" at one time there was a glossary in the hayes/chlition manuals that would walk you through decoding it...i think. :unsure:

mistake oops GIF

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm digging into the ol' Chevy parts book to see if it has any info for the plate. One thing is the lower 77L is for the paint type, carmine in laquer. More on the interior, 74V is for all vinyl seats in Wallaby CF material, trim level for seats/doors will be S2/2V (standard 2nd design/2nd design vinyl.) Can't find anything on 0735.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I'm digging into the ol' Chevy parts book
Man, you're amazing. So far today this is the only thing that's gone well. Thank you.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor