GN smokin turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

osofast

n00b
Aug 30, 2005
I was lookin for feedback concerning my GN. Whenever the turbo kicks in it smokes out the tailpipe. The harder I get on it the more it smokes.
It runs good but is a smoker. any comments?

VenomousRegal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2005
Lincoln,Ne
I would definitely check the electric solonoid that controls the wastegate function, If it is opening pre-maturely, or just Staying open, then that would cause alot of smoke, but rob you of quite a bit of power as you would not be able to create boost. This would not cause an engine run poor, i.e. miss, foul or what not. Just not perform to the best it can... Let me know what you find!!!

Jackstand

n00b
Oct 7, 2005
VenomousRegal said:
I would definitely check the electric solonoid that controls the wastegate function,

huh... the wastegate on a turbo buick is boost activated.

most likely you have the seals out of your turbo. it will cost you some cash to get it rebuilt. I have rebuilt my own before but i would do some reserch befroe you try.

VenomousRegal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2005
Lincoln,Ne
:eek: Thanks for the correction. A question. Are there any sensors or any electronic monitors for the boost to wastegate. If not I am misinformed.

<wanting to learn more>

Thanks

Jackstand

n00b
Oct 7, 2005
VenomousRegal said:
:eek: Thanks for the correction. A question. Are there any sensors or any electronic monitors for the boost to wastegate. If not I am misinformed.

<wanting to learn more>

Thanks

the map sensor monitors boost/vacume for the computer.. but othen then that no... the wastegate is completely boost acctivated. thats why its so easy to crank up the boost and go fast

WSLN 6

n00b
Jan 4, 2006
You probably have a bad seal in your turbo on the exhaust side. If your intercooler pipe has no oil in it that would be my guess.
The MAP sensor doesn't do much on our cars, just controls the stock boost gauge on the dash. Fairly useless......

Jackstand said:
VenomousRegal said:
I would definitely check the electric solonoid that controls the wastegate function,
huh... the wastegate on a turbo buick is boost activated.
most likely you have the seals out of your turbo. it will cost you some cash to get it rebuilt. I have rebuilt my own before but i would do some reserch befroe you try.
-----------------------------------------
Boost on a turbo Buick is controlled by a combination of the wastegate, which in turn is controlled by the wastegate solenoid, which is located over on the passenger valve cover. If that goes out, you can overboost and eat a headgasket in a heartbeat. However, it dopes sound like the turbo seals are out, and the turbo needs replacing/rebuilding.
For further info, check out the following sites:
www.turbobuick.com
www.turbobuicks.com
www.turbobuicks is an excellent site for advice.
www.ihadav8.com goof around site, lots of fun
HTH Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor