MONTE CARLO Grant steering wheel issue

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
My dad and I just tried to install a Grant custom steering wheel and are having electrical issues now. We took the stock wheel off with a puller, and after following the instructions, the hazards (exterior only) and side markers started flashing as well as the horn beeping as if a door was opened when the alarm was on. It also was making a loud ticking noise from what sounded like the steering column. Also, the car would not start. Do I have to splice the blinker wire into the new horn assembly? If it helps, this is the video we used alongside the instructions. Has anyone else had this issue?

NJ Longroof

Random guy
Feb 27, 2020
My dad and I just tried to install a Grant custom steering wheel and are having electrical issues now. We took the stock wheel off with a puller, and after following the instructions, the hazards (exterior only) and side markers started flashing as well as the horn beeping as if a door was opened when the alarm was on. It also was making a loud ticking noise from what sounded like the steering column. Also, the car would not start. Do I have to splice the blinker wire into the new horn assembly? If it helps, this is the video we used alongside the instructions. Has anyone else had this
Almost sounds like there is an aftermarket alarm system in the car. The ticking might be a relay.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
Almost sounds like there is an aftermarket alarm system in the car. The ticking might be a relay.
Yeah there was a cheapo alarm in there from the previous owner, we took part of it out but there’s still wiring in there apparently. Under the dash by the heater under the steering column there’s a wire with a black switch that I originally thought was a kill switch and never found it what it was. I’ll check it out after work. Should I just switch it the other way and see if it fixes itself or do I need to pull the wire?

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Its hard to tell whats going on while that alarm is still in there, even partially. It may be a pain but I would suggest taking it all out and starting at zero with the wiring, then working forward from there. From what you described, it sounds like removing the stock wheel and maybe horn button with it, caused something to not check out right for the alarm and is giving it mixed signals which are causing your other issues.

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
Its hard to tell whats going on while that alarm is still in there, even partially. It may be a pain but I would suggest taking it all out and starting at zero with the wiring, then working forward from there. From what you described, it sounds like removing the stock wheel and maybe horn button with it, caused something to not check out right for the alarm and is giving it mixed signals which are causing your other issues.
Yeah hopefully it’s straightforward, the alarm was pretty lousy and would randomly go off in the garage years ago so I’m hoping it was a quick wiring job. I can record it later and post it on YouTube so I can link it here. If this helps narrow it down, the ticking noise, horn, and blinkers/side markers all start if I just tap the steering column without any of the new wheel components on

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
That to me sounds like a ground issue or something shorting out when you touch the steering column. Get rid of that alarm man. We have some good resources here for wiring diagrams if you dont have a service manual for the car already. I highly suggest one if you dont already. Worse case scenario I can PM you screenshots of that harness if you need.

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
That to me sounds like a ground issue or something shorting out when you touch the steering column. Get rid of that alarm man. We have some good resources here for wiring diagrams if you dont have a service manual for the car already. I highly suggest one if you dont already. Worse case scenario I can PM you screenshots of that harness if you need.
Yeah that’s what my dad thinks. It wasn’t an issue until the old wheel came off. I don’t have a wiring diagram so if you could send me that i’d appreciate it. I have a labeled guide of the fuse panel somewhere but I’m not sure if that’ll help

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
IMG_3586.jpeg

Found the culprit

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor